Existing Member?

Epic Proportions Keeping family and friends up-to-date with recent adventuring!!

Nafplio/Tolo

GREECE | Thursday, 16 October 2008 | Views [4585] | Comments [1]

So after a power outage at the internet cafe killed the first draft of this entry, here we go again!

On our second day in Athens, we did all of the "touristy" things, such as visiting the Acropolis/Parthenon, the Temple of Zeus, the Plaka, and all of the various ruins around town. Despite the "concrete jungle" aspect of Athens, and the breathtaking sprawl, it is a bit charming. The people are quite friendly, and the metro runs for very cheap all over town. And gyros are cheap and plentiful. One of the best parts of the day was the climb up the Pnyx Hill near the Acropolis to the Philopappus Monument. We took a nap under some olive trees, only to wake up and realize that we were sleeping on the top of a ruined tower of a Macedonian fortress. Then we got a gyro. :)

We stayed a third night with our couchsurfer (accidentally, as we locked our bags in her apartment and had to wait until she got back from class in the evening.) She took us out to a bar in the student district, with dark wood walls, stained by the heavy clouds of tobacco smoke. It was an "American Music" bar, which started innocently enough with some James Brown and Aretha Franklin, but veered wildly off course when they started playing Ace of Base, some high school drum cadences, and strangely, South Park's Chocolate Salty Balls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_Salty_Balls). We went out to the bar at 11:30, and didn't start heading back until 3:15 (ugh). A short taxi ride home, and we were out.

After reading that Patras was nothing special, we decided to take the bus to Nafplio, supposedly one of the prettiest towns in Greece.

This involved taking the city bus from her house to the center, the metro to another stop, then another city bus to the central bus terminal (and by central I mean two miles out of town). A two hour bus ride, and we were there. The hotels and pensiones in Nafplio were quite pricey, so we took another city bus to a small place near the beach that rents out bungalows for quite cheap. Our room overlooks a lemon grove, with plenty of friendly cats running around. It is a quick two-minute walk to Assini Beach.

After that, it is a quick walk down to the town of Tolo.

We will be here until we head to Cairo!

Miss you all!

Tags: athens, beach, bungalow, greece, nafplio, tolo

 

Comments

1

now, why is it that all of the pics under photos are of people i don't know? :) please post images so that i know you have not been harmed in any way. fretting forever, m

  mikl Oct 17, 2008 5:47 AM

About blackbs2


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.