Existing Member?

Epic Proportions Keeping family and friends up-to-date with recent adventuring!!

The Beach Life!

GREECE | Monday, 20 October 2008 | Views [727] | Comments [3]

Just a quick update...

After surviving a Florida-like torrential downpour that partially flooded the streets of Athens, we are back at our hostel waiting for our flight tomorrow to Cairo.

The last few days have been nothing short of relaxing, with breathtaking scenery and lovely summer weather. We bargained with the owner of our cute little beach bungalow, and were able to stay for uber-cheap (our fridge was busted) and spent the last few days really exploring Nafplio, eating great Greek food and coffee, and sunning ourselves on Tolo's beach. Every morning, after greeting the cats, we would take a short walk to get bread, milk, at baklava. We had a marvelous view of the crystal clear sea, and could easily see to 30 feet!  And about 100 meters from our bungalow was ancient Assini, an old ruined acropolis, that was mentioned in Homer's Iliad. We scrambled all over it, and could make out the outlines of old homesteads and foot-paths. Parts of the fort, such as the walls and stairs were still very much intact.  

In Nafplio, we had a similar excursion, but had to climb 1000+ stairs to the massive Palamidi Fortress built by the Venetians in the 16th century and was nearly all intact! Unlike any historical site in the US, there were no ropes or gates blocking access to any parts of the fortress. We were able to crawl down dusty little holes to peek in at old cisterns, partly filled with water (note to self: bring headlamp next time). By taking photos using the flash, we were able to see if the stone staircase we were following down didn't drop away. Free to do what we wanted, we explored the fortress for a few hours.

After tonight, we fly to Cairo!

Miss you all.

Comments

1

Gma says: "Boy, what a wonderful trip. You lucky kids, especially with SUNSHINE!" Gma also said she is having a wonderful visit with Marshall's mom.

Mom says: What a fabulous start to your adventure! Thanks for the photo, it really makes it extra special. Your descriptions are most appreciated. I remember composing great emails at internet cafes only to have the computer crash before I sent them - frustrating! Thank goodness your emails are getting through.

Love, Gma and Yer MI mama.

  Pat and Gma Oct 20, 2008 1:59 AM

2

Sounds like you're having an amazing time so far and getting the chance to both relax and explore. Thanks for the updates, and the photos of places that are still on our list of places to visit. Hope the travel to Cairo goes smoothly. More incredible sites ahead!

All is well on the home front... with winter snows coming to the Cascades.

Drew and Michael

  Seattle Dad Oct 21, 2008 2:18 AM

3

Thanks again for being so good to share with us. We know you are having the time of your life. Love

  Grandma Oct 21, 2008 12:50 PM

About blackbs2


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.