Existing Member?

Somewhere Out There

Armagnac

FRANCE | Friday, 25 March 2011 | Views [499]

Gascony is Brilliant. I am in Armagnac country with my last HelpX hosts, who are fantastic. Apparently this is one of the least populated areas in France, and it is beautiful. There are rolling winter wheat fields, Armagnac chateaux, and Vines everywhere. Something about the area makes me want to stay, or at least come back as soon as possible. It feels a bit slower than the rest of France, and it's more relaxed, even in the markets. Deb and Keith, my hosts, are British Expats, and they have been welcoming, generous and appreciative of the work I've done. They are also great people to talk to about the world, wine, and whatever else has come up. All in all, I'll be sad to leave. We were in Condom (insert bad joke here) the other day for the market, and I went inside an old church. Wonderfully done, Gothic style, with stained glass that almost made me cry it was so beautiful. The sun shining in at the perfect angle only helped matters. That city, or large village, is one of the biggest in the area and full of charm and Armagnac. Which I have decided to drink for the rest of my days. Amber liquid, or mahogany depending on the age, with great notes, and the perfect glass to swirl in your palm. Such a pleasure to sip, enjoy, and Smell. The weather has been grand, all sun and blue sky, with the occasional blast of wind, which I'm told is not that common (the wind, not the spring weather). France! It only gets better for this traveler - I can't believe I'll be leaving in a week. BUT, I will be able to see Jim and Laurent again before I go, and that's something to look forward to. After our Amazing meal in Bordeaux, (Thank you again Gentlemen!) we jumped around the city and I got my bearings before I revisit the city next week. It's got a great vibe, and Jim showed me some spots to check out. I'm still thinking about that meal - I had a delicious selection of Foie Gras, a specialty of the area. I know PETA wouldn't be happy, but I can't please everyone.

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.