Existing Member?

Somewhere Out There

FOOD`

FRANCE | Thursday, 17 March 2011 | Views [632] | Comments [1]

My last night in Aix I was treated to a wonderful meal with Christelle and Didier at his parents home. We had a wonderful meal with roasted meat, charcuterie, wine, Champagne, cheese, pasta, conversation and delightful desserts. I was glowing from wonderful food and companionship. It was a perfect sendoff, and I am so grateful and looking forward to hosting or seeing them all again, especially Christelle and Didier. Now I have arrived in St. Quentin du Dropt with my Uncle Jim and his partner Laurent. They have a wonderful bakery where Laurent, the Artisan, makes beautiful sourdough bread in a lovely cast iron wood fired oven. They specialize in Organic breads, and they are both wonderful cooks. I have been treated to home made pesto pizza with garlic and shrimp, fresh salads, roasted vegetables, more amazing charcuterie, more wonderful wine, mostly organic and very good, and, well, again the list goes on and on. Furthermore, the company here is as good if not better than any I have had throughout my travels. Yesterday I went with Jim to one of his weekly markets and had the chance to meet some of his loyal customers, of which there are many, and see the city of Agen. The French towns and cities I have visited each have their own charm as well as a current of pure Francais. That might seem obvious, but it is still something I am struck by each day, and so enjoyable that it is worth mentioning again. Their village is quite small and relaxed, perfect for walks, conversation and wood fired stoves, of which they have more than one. The studio above the bakery where I am staying has one that has lulled me to sleep everynight. I have decided that I must have one when I am lucky enough to have my own home. Now I must wrap up with more to come later, we are headed to Bordeaux for the day for a lovely meal and city viewing with Laurents cousin. More to come soon....

 

Comments

1

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well - Virginia Woolf

  Liz Mar 21, 2011 2:44 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.