Existing Member?

Canadian Adventures The world is a giant book, if you don't travel you're only reading the first page!

Road Tripin' USA with my Old Man!

USA | Tuesday, 28 August 2007 | Views [1408]

Heya Friends & Fam,

After a hectic month in Europe, I had two days to relax before my old man arrived on his first ever trip out of Australia. We planned to have a week in Van and then travel the west coast of the states. Dad's first week was full on with something different on each day. We made it up to Whistler, across to Vancouver Island and Victoria, downtown through Stanley Park, did a drive through 'the ghetto' on Hastings Street and a range of other Vancouver highlights. Probably Dad's favourite part of the trip was sitting in the 'Beer Garden' with my landlord Bas at the end of most days, dribbling shite and watching the world go by. Most nights were cruisy, though we did give it a bit of a nudge one night at the Cactus Club. Like Earls, Cactus hires the hottest staff possible to flirt with the predominately male staff and coax (con??) them out of tips. Bas, Dad and I knocked off a ridiculous amount of pitchers and if I ever needed proof of genetics it came in the form of my Dad hitting on the bar staff the way I would, only better!! I am still not sure what that says about me! It was a pretty big night, though not really a wise move with a game of footy to be played the next day!

We headed off to the states early on the Sunday with the first stop Seattle. We checked out Safeco Field and watched the Seattle Mariners kill the Chicago Whitesox. Next was a flight to Oakland where we picked up a rental car and drove the 500 miles to San Diego. Ron Burgundy hit the mark when he said 'stay beautiful San Diego'! The city is very trendy, right on the water and such a relief after spending 2 hours in LA traffic! We checked out the Zoo (very impressive), the Navy ships and Hooters Bar!! We also walked across the border into Tijuana which was INSANE!!! Its a 3rd World Country and anything goes. Hookers, drugs, imitation clothes and $1 Coronas and tacos!! I managed to pick up some Viagra for 5 bucks, BARGAIN!!! Not that I need it...............yet!!!

Los Angeles is a sprawling polluted mess, but we managed to enjoy our time there. Universal Studios is mind blowing. Think Movie World times 1000!!! I even got dad on some of the rides, no mean feat I assure you. Probably the highlight was the 3D Terminator show where they mixed real actors on stage with screen footage to produce an awesome show. The Waterworld Show was huge too with fireworks, planes crashing into ships and exploding gas tanks. Hollywood itself is a bit of a dive what with all the hookers, hawkers and junkies, though the Walk of Fame and Chinese Theatre are both classy and surreal.

We took the coast road up to San Francisco via Santa Barbara which just oozes money. San Fran had the BEST hostel I have stayed at so far with the widest range of facilities, activities and cool crew working there. We had a pre-packaged tour in San Fran and did the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Lombardo Street (world's crookedest street) and Chinatown. San Fran has a great vibe and is very diverse, but the monster hills would do me in!! Driving around was interesting, with one way streets and not much signage almost doing me in! All in all it was an AWESOME two weeks with my old man and I think/hope that it has inspired him to do some more travelling.

Anywho, that's more that enough from me for one session.

Wherever you are, take care and keep smiling. Ben.

Tags: Family

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.