Existing Member?

Making Lemonade life gives you lemons make lemonade” Hello friends and family this cruising journal/blog is about my travels, the places I go and the friends I meet along the way.

Grenada

GRENADA | Monday, 15 March 2010 | Views [916]

March 14th, 2010

Arrived Grenada around 4:30pm and made a grand or should I say ground entrance due to a confusing buoy system and conflicting guide book advice. We eventually tied up in Port Louis Marina a new venture being built by Peter De Savvry of Lands End UK fame and Camper Nicholson Marine Developers. We are tied up opposite a boat full of Brits which seems so familiar. The first Brits I have seen outside of the UK since leaving over a year ago. The British influence is everywhere and it has made me realize just how British I am.

March 15th-20th Grenada

We have had a great week exploring this beautiful Island and getting to know the very warm, friendly people. Their kindness and good natured attitude has made us want to explore and know more about their history and their country. Hurricane Ivan has left its mark but there is a real buzz in the streets and the countryside and the Grenadian people appear to be working together to re-build. Grenada’s is known as the spice island and until Ivan was the second largest producer of Nutmeg (if you need any nutmeg just ask). We explored a chocolate plantation and got to sample the fruit of their labor (yum).

My Grenadian highlights:

Cultural:

History museum: Full of interesting exhibits of the flora and fauna as well as information and artifacts from Grenada’s rich cultural history. You are aware from the stature and beauty of the people of Grenada that they are not from the same African stock of the Antiguans. The museum illustrates their heritage and the influence of the South American and East Indian settlers. Although the exhibits could use a refresh it is well worth a visit.

St Georges market: A typical West Indian Market although unlike St John Antigua the vendors are very friendly and helpful. We met lovely people that shared their island knowledge and recipes and all with a smile.

Island tour:

We hadn’t appreciated the vastness or diversity of the island until we explored the interior. This little island country has it all, farming, fishing industry, and commerce on a global scale including a vibrant shipping port. Although we crammed our tour into one day we could easily have spent hours at each location.  Don’t miss; the waterfalls and hike the surrounding farm land; Grand Etang Nat’l park and the crater lake with gorgeous plant life be sure to take bananas for the Mona monkeys and don’t leave until you see one. Raymond Pilgrim was our taxi driver and although a good chap I think a group tour would have been perhaps more informative. I have also found out you can find local guides to take you on tailored tours using local buses, we both agreed this would be the best way to really experience Grenada. 

Restaurant:

BB’s, Caranage a local restaurant with excellent daily specials and great location overlooking the entrance of the harbor and container loading dock. BB’s is owned by a friendly Grenadian man and his charming English wife (Anne from Bath). Oprah Winfrey is apparently a fan as well.

Grand Etang Nat'l Park - Crater Lake

Grand Etang Nat'l Park - Crater Lake

Tags: fauna, flora, marina, museum, people, restaurant

 

 

Travel Answers about Grenada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.