Existing Member?

Into the blue... "LIFE BEGINS AT THE END OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE"

Farmer Karma

ECUADOR | Monday, 28 November 2011 | Views [343]

After another awesome day of diving and snorkling yesterday, our group got taxis back to the station and even though we left behind hot showers and most joys of a normal life (!) it felt like coming home. Dare I say...it's nice to be back :)

This morning it was back to 6am mornings, pancakes at 7am (v v yummy) and up into the forest to machete down more raspberry vines...amazingly satisfying...though I did have a bunch of ants fall into the back of my shirt and got bitten like crazy, and there were a few peeps who got stung by angry wasps...not a good day for insects!

After lunch we shelled fresh coffee beans that had been picked this morning by a small group of volunteers. In order to try and help with reforestation on the island, the station is trying to get the farming neighbors to grow coffee, instead of the invasive raspberry plants which are out of control and choking a lot of the native species. The fresh coffee beans will be given to the farmers to plant, in order that they can cheaply get going with growing coffee. Farmer Karma!

It's my birthday tomorrow...and there are soooo many 18 year olds at the station, and I'm double their age. Sheeeesh. Old much!? I'm getting a cake for dinner apparently...that's a big deal at a station like this, so I think everyone is stoked it's my birthday!

On Thursday, 9 of us head into town to start a 4 day island-hop tour of other Galapagos islands...sooooo looking forward to it, and fingers crossed I can get a dive in :)

X

Ps. If you ever spend time in the jungle, a headlamp is a MUST...as is the ability to play a multitude of card games to keep yourselves entertained...

About bekinthebigblue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.