Existing Member?

Bec & Simon

Prague, Czech Republic

CZECH REPUBLIC | Tuesday, 14 July 2009 | Views [527]

The gang on Charles Bridge

The gang on Charles Bridge

Simon, Leah, Char, Lynn and I bussed from Vienna to Prague. We arrived in Prague at about 9pm. Now, you would think that by this stage of our travels, Simon and I would have learnt to check the name and address of our hotel before arriving in a new city. Yeah right! All we knew was that it was on the same street as the girls' hotel. Fortunately for us, they had enough common sense to write down the details of their hotel. So we shouldered our packs and Simon and Leah led the way. This quickly became our standard routine for Prague - Simon and Leah enthusiastically leading us around, map in hand. Me, Char and Lynn, quite happy to wander along behind and take in the sights. To their credit, they actually did a pretty good job (by the end Simon was leading me around Prague sans map!) especially considering the maze-like layout of the streets of Prague!

I really loved Prague, and I think the rest of the gang enjoyed it too. The city has such a nice feel to it, beautiful old buildings, cobbled streets and lots of places to eat and drink. The only really downside were the tourists. I haven't seen crowds of tourists like this in all our travels so far. You actually had to push through the crowds everywhere you went! 

We did a fair bit of sightseeing while in Prague and a little bit of shopping, although we didn't really buy too much. We also did a lot of drinking and eating out because it was fairly cheap - half a litre of beer for less than $2 Australian. On our second night there we went for a warm up beer at the bar across the road from our hotel. It was a weird little place, dirty, filled wall to wall with junk and really weird bits and pieces, and it kind of smelt funny, but still kind of charming in a way. Then we went to a "Beer Garden" (I use the term very loosely since it was pretty much just chairs and tables set up on the footpath outside the pub with one or two pot plants - hence the "garden" I guess) for dinner. After dinner we went to a bar for a few more drinks and some ten pin bowling. It was fantastic - the lanes were half the length (which you would think would give you twice as much chance of hitting something - I can safely say it doesn't!), you could drink beer while you bowled and you didn't have to wear those stupid bowling shoes! Brilliant!

We had a really good time in Prague, it is such a beautiful city, and it has been so nice travelling with other people. But it's time to go back and join the real world for a while and earn some money! So, off to Munich.

 

About bec-simon

Enjoying a little bit of sun in winter

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.