Existing Member?

Bec & Simon

Bavaria, Germany

GERMANY | Tuesday, 13 October 2009 | Views [1045]

Bec struggling with 3 litres of beer

Bec struggling with 3 litres of beer

Wow, wow, wow! Simon and I have fallen in love with Munich! It's a beautiful city, with lovely people, delicious beer, tasty food, and a million and one things to do and see. We have met some great people, made some really good friends, and done a lot of incredibly cool stuff! Munich feels very much like home, and we are sad to be leaving, but, Rome is calling!

We have been absolutely flat out for the past three months. Simon has been working at his soccer statistics job, which he has loved, and as a tour guide. I went on one of his tours a couple of weeks ago and he is really quite good! I have been busy working at the kindergarten and as a nanny. 

In between work, we have had time for some serious sightseeing (and beer-drinking) in Bavaria. We were very lucky to meet a local guy called Joergfried, a very proud Bavarian, and our own personal tour guide! He has shown us around all the best beer halls/gardens in and around Munich, taken us hiking in the alps, chauffeured me around Bavaria, and even into Austria, for a day, and introduced us to all sorts of new Bavarian food. He has been absolutely fantastic and it has been nice to see a lot of the less touristy, more traditional sights.

We also had a visit from my sister, Nugget and Simon's friend Leah, which was awesome. Nugget and I went on one of Simon's Beer Challenge tours (and stepped up to the challenge!) and then spent a day out at a castle in the Alps called Neuschwanstein which was absolutely incredible. When Leah arrived, we all hit Oktoberfest - and hit it hard! I managed 3 mass (3 litres) of beer during the evening, but was completely outdone by Leah and Nugget (Bavarian Beer Drinking Champions!) who took on 4 each! Leah and Simon and I went to the Augustiner Brewery (my favourite German beer!) for pork knuckle, which is a very traditional dish here, very meaty, but delicious!

Simon and I have been busy during the last week saying goodbye to everyone here. Simon has been out for beers almost every night for goodbye drinks with mates from both works. I have had a big perty at kinder with teachers and kids and went out for dinner with Kirsty, Florien and Uli (the family I was nannying for). Today, our last day in Munich, Joergfried took us out for weisswurst and weissbeer (German breskfast).

All up, and unbeatable 3 months, in an amazing city, with awesome people!

Tags: bavaria, beer, munich, neuschwanstein, oktoberfest

 

About bec-simon

Enjoying a little bit of sun in winter

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.