Existing Member?

Bec & Simon

Vancouver, Canada

CANADA | Wednesday, 15 April 2009 | Views [715] | Comments [1]

Canada Place sails

Canada Place sails

Bec finally got a day off from the Wheatberries Bakery so we thought we'd make the most of it and take the Queen of Surrey (the ferry) over to Vancouver for some sightseeing. It's a fairly easy trip from the our place on the Sunshine Coast to the city, just a 10 minute walk to the ferry, 40 minutes across Howe Sound, then a short bus ride. The city is almost overrun by construction workers getting everything ready for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. Its tough to walk down some streets because of the works going on. Apart from that its a cool city. The downtown area is almost entirely surrounded by water sort of like Manhattan, Ney York (I assume) so its very compact. Makes it easy to walk around everywhere. After spending most of the day wandering around the waterfront, Canada Place and doing a bit of shopping one of us came up with the brilliant idea going for a walk across the Lions Gate bridge. Sounded good in theory but we kinda underestimated how far it was. We walked through Stanley Park along the way, the park was huge and supposably full of coyotes although we weren't too worried because we've both seen the Road Runner cartoons and were pretty confident they'd foil any attempts of harming us. It took us a good few hours just to reach the Lions Gate bridge but it was worthwhile. Its Vancouvers version of the Sydney Harbour bridge except uglier. The views back towards the CBD were spectacular and the fact that the bridge kept swaying around gave it that little adrenaline kick. We were completely buggered after so much walking that we caught the next ferry back to Gibsons, the 10 minute walk back to the house felt a lot longer this time.

 

Comments

1

Vancouver reminds us a little of Melbourne. That's some walk you went on...lol. I love Stanley Park...I could people watch in it for hours!! :)

  Jan Apr 28, 2009 8:27 AM

About bec-simon

Enjoying a little bit of sun in winter

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.