Existing Member?

Ben and Ange - On the Road

Way down south!!

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 12 February 2008 | Views [644]

Glacial stream!  Gorgeous.  And cold.  And loud!

Glacial stream! Gorgeous. And cold. And loud!

Hello again

Well we have made it down to Ushuaia, right down the bottom end of South America and the southern most city in the world. First day that we arrived it was a max of 6 degrees which gave us the perfect excuse to rug up. Theres a certain joy to being really cold after the hot weather in Perth and Beunos Aires and hey how often do you get to put on full thermals and scarfs and gloves and jackets :)

Ushuaia is a lovely little city sitting on the Beagle Canal with 1000+ metre mountains behind it. We trekked up them thar mountains yesterday.  Was perhaps a tad more of a clamber than we exptected... but a damn fine one indeed.  Of course the views back over Ushuaia and the canal were amazing, but the snow, the glacial stream and the incredible knock-you-over-wind all made for an awesome day out.

We set of back down into town along the road but soon discovered a way cool hike path through the beech forest alongside the stream.  Was stunning!  Squelching through the mud wasn´t quite so stunning but pretty amusing :-)

Most exciting news thus far is that WE´VE BOOKED OUR TICKETS TO ANTARCTICA!!!!!  We were busy checking it all out, looking into last minute deals etc etc and doing a whole lot of head scratching as to how to go about it.  Popped into the official Antarctica info office and one of the Operators happened to be there and filled us in on some tickets she had left.  Tis GAP adventures!  Uh huh - that be the one that sunk!  Now THAT¨S an adventure!

Anyhoo - the boat (Polaris) only takes about 70 passengers and sets off on the 18th Feb!  That and the fact that the price was a couple of grand cheaper than our set maximum sold us.  We stopped scratching our heads... took a deep breath and said "LET¨S DO IT"!

YAY!

So now we be holing up in our hostel trying to save as many pesos as we can while still lapping up the best of this stunning area!

Tags: Mountains

 

About bagen

Rotto Self Portrait

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.