Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Rainy day

CHINA | Monday, 23 June 2008 | Views [876]

Today I gave my first round of finals for the last time. I didn't have anything to do until 1pm, so I slept in and generally enjoyed my morning alone.

I went a little early to get my stuff together, but students were already there.

"We've been here for a long time. We are READY!"

So I began early, and finished early as a result.

However, a random artificial rainstorm was gracing the city. Umbrella-less (or so I thought), I waited a few minutes, but it wasn't letting up. So I decided to take of my flip flops, gather up my white skirt (eek!), and start the 10 minute walk back.

About half-way home, I ran into two of my students who'd just taken my exam. I don't know what they were doing, but they immediately covered me with their umbrellas and offered to walk me home. I insisted that it wasn't necessary, but they insisted it wasn't.

So Andy walked me back to my apartment whereby we had pleasant, but slightly stunted conversation.

A few minutes later, the storm let up, so I decided to get something to drink. I searched out my umbrella (which was in my backpack afterall...) and set out.

I didn't open my umbrella because it wasn't raining. As I left my complex, lightning struck. The thunder clapped before I could realize what happened. It struck the building right next to where I was standing. I noticed the birds fly away right before it happened and saw a purple spark. But I didn't realize what was going on until I was startled by the thunder. It boomed immediately.

So, finals, umbrella walking, and nearly getting struck by lightning sums up my day.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.