Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Dragon Boat Festival

CHINA | Sunday, 8 June 2008 | Views [730]

No class tomorrow in celebration of the Dragon Boat Festival.  Several different articles on wikipedia yielded no real understanding of why this is celebrated.  However, a day of rest is always appreciated. 

The actual festival is today.  In its ultimate benevolence, the Chinese government decided that a festival falling on a weekend wasn't fair and conceded to allow work and school to be canceled on Monday as well.

There are rice dumplings associated with them.  They are made of gluttinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves.  They're meant to be a dessert.  I had no interest in eating them. 

In fact, I had no real interest in doing anything today.  So I didn't.  Apart from being awoken at 9 am because of the necessary Chinese holiday fireworks, my task was accomplished beautifully.

ps -- My couch surfer is Polish.  With an insatiable appetite.  On a late-night run to the 24 hour McDonald's, he told me that not only is Witkowski undeniably Polish, but it's also a name of nobility.  Hmmm....

Tags: dragon boat festival

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.