Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

University life

CHINA | Monday, 26 May 2008 | Views [523]

I had another planning session with Kiri today.  This time, I cooked.  I decided that since this was probably our last planning session, I'd pay her back for all her hospitality and good meals throughout the semester. 
I made lettuce wraps (I got the P.F. Chang's recipe online).  I had fresh pineapple.  I even broke out the dining room table and bought napkins.  I did it real proper.

Afterward, we commenced another planning session.  We've decided to make our last lesson about the differences in university life in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, and China.  Because, generally, it's the same in the Western countries.  But in China...it's very different.  And students have been asking about it.  Apparently there is a large population of my students who will be studying abroad, and they are concerned about how to adjust.  I've received several emails like this one,

"Hey Lea:
  Actually I met a problem,I decide to go abroad for studying commerce,but I don't know wether I have all the problem done,you know I really nervous about how to adapt to  a new environment  in Aus,now  should I do something to practice my ability of being dependent,and how?I know you are expirenced to face this situation,can you give me some advice about it because I really how to stand up to it.
                                                
                                                                           yours sincerely panda"
Hopefully, our lesson will help them.  And maybe the last month will go a little more smoothly as a result.  Because right now, I can't get them to follow my instructions at all. 
Case in point, my group assignments.  I gave really precise instructions on how I wanted the powerpoints for their presentations completed.  Only ONE group (of the five that presentated today) followed them.  Either they didn't understand (which is basically impossible) or they just didn't care.  Because they all lost points.  I was really frustrated at the end.  Oh well.  They'll learn when they go abroad.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.