Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Coach bags and silk wallets

CHINA | Friday, 23 May 2008 | Views [1409]

I had plans to meet Mario and Ilan at a clothing market after class, but I fell asleep and they had already left.  I went anyway because for the past six months or so I've been trying to get there to buy my aunt a fake Coach bag and my mom ten of these fake silk wallets that she really liked when she visited (she's going to use them as gifts...).

So I called Mario and told him the plan.  They were going to meet me after my shopping excursion.  I dove in. 

Bags, shoes, bags, belts, purses, wallets, bags.  I really don't like haggling.  I started at a few places finding bags and asking prices.  Y600.  Y800.  I was getting frustrated.  On my last nerve, I went to a little shop that had the bag that I'd picked out for Nanny.  I started talking with the girl, trying to make friends, and hopefully get a deal.  This was about a half hour into the excursion, and I was tired.  I knew I could get the bag for Y70 (I've done it before), but they were being relentless.  She was nice.  She kept offering me bigger but uglier bags for the price I was offering (Y70).  I told her it was a gift and that I had to get THAT ONE. 

"Since you speak a little Zhong Wen, I'll give you good deal."

"I can't pay more than Y70."

"Just a little more."

"Ok, Y75."

"Come on!  We friends now! Y100 is my last price."

"Ok, I'll pay Y90."

"This bag I can sell for that price.  This bag is too good.  I can't give it to you."

"It's only Y10!"

"Come on!"

"Ok, I'll go somewhere else."

"No, no no!  Ok!  If you buy another bag, you come back here!"

That was that.

I went to try to buy the wallets.  The first place I found them, I had a similar conversation with two girls.  They started at Y55 EACH!  I eventually got them down to Y7.5 each. 

Purchases done, I went to meet Mario and send the stuff home. 

At the post office, they were telling me that my 2.15 kilo package was going to cost Y143 to send to the States.  As I've done this before, I knew that was too expensive.  An English conversation with a man (maybe the manager?) followed.  He told me it was impossible.  I gave back the box and decided to send it home with the rest of my stuff because it will be much, MUCH cheaper. 

So, I've finally purchased the fakery to send home.  Now I just have to buy a big box.  The post office will have them on Tuesday or Wednesday :)

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.