Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Kiwis

CHINA | Thursday, 15 May 2008 | Views [488]

This week in my culture classes, we're discussing New Zealand.  As I know absolutely nothing about this seemingly marvelous chain of three islands, I was very glad when Kiri told me she had a video about New Zealand that she wanted to show.  I didn't bother to watch it before showing it in class.

It has no subtitles.  The man who narrates it is a bit monotone, speaks to fast, and has a ridiculous New Zealand accent that even I have trouble understanding.  I realized almost immediately that this video was not only a big mistake, but it is positively hopeless for the students to take notes from it.

I showed it in both my classes, hoping some of the brighter students understood a little.

They all had a note page that they were supposed to fill in during the movie.  At the end, I asked if they had any questions.  They asked about EVERY SINGLE QUESTION on the page.  And I realized that no less than three of the questions weren't even discussed in the movie. 

Sigh...At least I learned a little.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.