Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Parent-teacher conference

CHINA | Sunday, 16 March 2008 | Views [1065] | Comments [1]

Today I had lunch with Kevin and his parents. They brought me to a very nice Sichuan restaurant in Beijing

They picked me up this morning at 10:30 am. I thought it was a little early for lunch, but just went along assuming it was a tradition that I'm not yet familiar with.

Turns out they wanted to treat me to tea first. We had tea at a nice Sichuan style tea house. It was jasmine tea, and it was tasty. We talked about all kinds of things. Both his parents speak English (his father's English is very good), so the conversation was interesting.

Then, we went to a similar restaurant for LOTS OF FOOD! So much food. Too much food. I was so freaking full about half way through the meal, but I kept eating because it was so delicious. I have yet to get hungry since the lavish meal.

His parents were so cute. They took pictures of Kevin and I talking. They took pictures of me with Kevin outside. They took pictures of me with Kevin and his mother. They took pictures of me with Kevin's parents. So many pictures, it was almost as if Nana was there :)

After lunch, we explored a little shop that was full of all kinds of things shipped to Beijing from Sichuan. It seemed extravagant to ship all this stuff, and it was expensive accordingly. I didn't purchase anything even though most of it looked extremely delicious.

The conversation was about all kinds of things. Kevin is a little obsessed with airplanes. He studies them online. He's a member of English forums about it, and he has asked me to edit things he posts to make sure the English is perfect. Most of these things I don't understand or don't know about, so sometimes he asks me questions and I have no idea what the answers are. He's perplexed mostly because he thinks I don't understand his English. It's really cute.

We talked about classes. We talked about where things in Beijing are. We talked about my Spring Festival trip. It was an overall pleasant venture out.

And it's basically the closest thing I've had to a parent-teacher conference.

Kevin and his family get full marks!

Tags: family, food, friends, students

Comments

1

glad to see that you're getting to know my in-laws! :)

hahahaha...does kevin read these? lol

  lauren Mar 18, 2008 3:17 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.