Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Twin Peaks

CHINA | Tuesday, 11 March 2008 | Views [1254]

Ok. So when I was young, I used to watch this show at night that I didn't really understand. Mostly, I liked the shots of this cafe with neon lights. It kind of creeped me out, but I remember feeling like an adult when I watched it.

I've tried to remember the name of this show for years to no avail. I thought that I would enjoy it more (and perhaps understand it) now that I'm older. But, again, I couldn't find it or remember the name.

In China, TV series are available for virtually nothing. The pirated DVDs come at a fraction of the real price. And most expats in China shamelessly indulge in the American TV programs so there is some solace to the lack of English TV. I've purchased several of these to satisfy that need to fill time with mind wasting TV.

The summer between my sophomore and junior years in college, I cut my hair off and discovered David Lynch. A random trip to the movie store yielded a copy of Mulholland Drive. The first viewing went completely misunderstood and was followed immediately by a second viewing. By perhaps the fifth time I watched it (and read countless reviews online), I began to understand it. And I decided that the director, David Lynch, was a genius in the process.

He wrote a TV show in the early 90s called Twin Peaks. I had never seen it, but with my infactuation with all things David Lynch, I had desired to find it on the shelves of cheap DVD stores since arriving in China.

Oddly enough, most people that I've met in China are similarly infactuated with David Lynch and similarly distressed by the lack of Twin Peaks between Desperate Housewives and CSI: Miami.

The other day a much too expensive dinner of Indian food with friends ended with a random trip to such DVD store. And while idly sorting through Mean Girls and Denzel Washington movies, a friend found the coveted Twin Peaks series.

We immediately made plans to spend countless hours pondering the meaning of the David Lynch cult masterpiece.

And that is how I've spent the last two evenings of my life. Watching in excess of four hours of this TV show each night.

About seven hours in, I realized that this must be the show I used to watch with a critical yet non-understanding eye when I was about eight years old. It is still difficult to follow, but oh-so-amazing!

Tags: Relaxation

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.