Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Tis the season...

CHINA | Wednesday, 16 January 2008 | Views [734] | Comments [3]

Mario, Kevin, Yumiko...two of my heartbroken friends

Mario, Kevin, Yumiko...two of my heartbroken friends

for breaking up.

I ran into Kevin in the subway today. I'll unabashedly admit that he is my favorite student. I started excitedly chatting,

"Hi! How are you?"

He mumbled and bumbled his way through a conversation. Weirdly answering questions. His English far inferior to his usual abilities. I cheerfully excused myself to catch the bus. Shortly after, I received a text,

"I am sorry Lea, actually, I didn't feel very well now. You know, my girlfriend and I just divided."

I responded with apology and quick lesson on the term "break up".

Then I received a call from Case. After what seemed like the prelude to a category 7 hurricane, Case and Mario broke up. Yes, it was dramatic (as dramatic as only the gays can be). Yes, it was devastating. Yes, I worry that I've lost two friends in the rubble.

It's really not that bad. I spent last weekend with Mario, and he seems relatively normal. Case and I had plans for dinner twice this week, which didn't pan out. But we will see each other soon, I'm sure. I think I remind them of each other, since the three of us spent so much time together. But time will heal that soreness, and we'll all move on.

And this occurs just as I'm starting a book about a woman's divorce from her husband. It's fabulous, and I can't stop reading (Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Go buy it now!). But it all seems to be one big circle of ended relationships.

It's weird how all this affects me even though I haven't committed myself in a silly game of love and luck. Oh, that god of Eros. He is a twisted little devil.

Tags: Friends

Comments

1

tell Kevin i'm single! lol

  Lauren Jan 17, 2008 5:59 AM

2

omg leee! i'm reading that book right now too! i miss you but happy to know that we can share a literary connection. it makes me feel closer to you. ;)

  danielle Jan 22, 2008 3:47 AM

3

i think my computer is about to bite the dust.

  danielle Jan 22, 2008 3:49 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.