Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

They weren't lying...

CHINA | Friday, 30 November 2007 | Views [501] | Comments [1]

...when they said you'd eventually use the math classes they force you to take.  

Years of complaining about my potential as a starving artist being wasted away on pointless math classes has finally been proven wrong.  I just used every single bit of math knowledge I have to caculate my grades for the semester.

In China, there is no neat little program like Semester Book that allows you to just punch in the numbers.  No, sir!  You must do it yourself.  And an entire semester of my trying to figure out how to grade these kids fairly while using the least possible amount of math has shown me that thinking about it hard enough might, in fact, solve all your problems...but it might not.

But instead of continuing to glower over my lack of resources, I decided to create my own.  I got in Excel and pushed enough buttons to finally create a formula that would calculate my grades for me!  It's genius!  It's beautiful!  It's oh-so-not-that-simple!  Many different attempts (most of which left me with 20% on kids who should have 100%) finally led me to the answer. 

But now it's done, and I have all of the grades for the entire semester so far inputed and calculated.  More than 50% of the grade is accounted for!  Yay me!

Tags: Work

Comments

1

DIdn't I always tell you that you could do anything if you tried hard enough. You are now living proof of that statement, teaching, teaching English in China, and calculating grades!!! I love you and am very proud of you.

  MOM Dec 2, 2007 10:56 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.