Existing Member?

Live as if this is all there is!

June 25, Seoul, South Korea to Bangkok, Thailand

THAILAND | Wednesday, 25 June 2008 | Views [614] | Comments [1]

We got up early and Younga made us coffee and rolls and then drove us to the bus stop to catch the bus to the airport.  Her husband had told us there was a post office at the airport to mail our package from (he is a pilot for Korean Air).  After an hour bus ride we finally made it to the airport, the post office didn’t open until 9am, right when our flight was boarding, so we had to lug the bag to Thailand!

When we went to check in, Thai Airlines could find our reservation at first, we were freaking out on the inside, but finally the manager figured it out.  Luckily we had gotten to the airport so early.  We repacked our bags a little, exchanged money, then went to the security line.  They tried to confiscate my little scissors, but I argued with them about the length and that they were short enough, and then they let me keep them.  The flight was uneventful.  I slept a little, and read my Dracula book, and tried to learn a little Thai which is very tonal.

Once we got to Thailand and through the long immigration line, we took a metered cab to a hotel recommended by LP, of course.  But it was really nice, with a nice bed, real sheets and a shower curtain!  We unpacked a little and went our to check out Bangkok.  Our hotel is about 4 blocks from Khoa San road, I guess it is famous.  So far I love Thailand, we haven’t seen much, but I already think it smells better than Korea, and the food has been really good.  It is hot and humid, but it is manageable.

We decided to check out the post office so that in the morning we could send the package out.  Right before we left I read a part of our guide book to Kyle about talking to strangers, and how a Thai person doesn’t want to just chat you up for cultural exchange, that they usually have a hidden agenda, and want to get you to go somewhere they suggest so they can get a cut.  So on the way to the post office this guy asked us where we were going, and of course friendly Kyle starts talking to him.  When we tell him we ate going to the post office he tells us that it is  closed (exactly what the book said he would say!) then he tells Kyle that there is a Lucky Buddha just down the rode that is free ot foreigners today only!  What a deal!! Hehe, I am trying to pull Kyle away, and we tell the guy that we just want to make sure we know how to get to the post office for tomorrow when it will be open.  As we continue to walk I tell Kyle that he was just trying to get us to go with him, and it is exactly what I read to Kyle in the book.  Kyle doesn’t agree, he thinks he was just being nice!  I said, ok well if the post office is really open then we will know.  Sure enough the post office was open, but Kyle still wouldn’t say that I was right!

So basically, in the guide book it really warns against getting ripped off.  So we have to be constantly aware.  After the post office we made our way back towards Khao San Road.  We met a woman from the US who told us about a good restaurant, so we ate there.  Finally, Kyle had some spicy food!  He got a green curry, and I got noodles with chicken.  The noodles were the wide flat noodles, and it was very good.

After that we walked around for a little while.  This area is very touristy, and the only Thai people you see are selling stuff, or working in the restaurants.  Hippy looking westerners with dreadlocks are walking around very lazily.  We people watch for a little bit.  Then back to the hotel to rest.  Our hotel is very quaint and the woman who works there, and probably owns it is very friendly.  We rinse off since we are so hot and sweaty and then its off to get our first Thai massage.  It is only 160 Baht for an hour, which is  about 5 USD.  When we walk in they give us a cup of tea and the massage menu.  We decide on the hour long massage, and they show us to the booths and tell us to put on the little Thai pajamas.  The massage place is very nice, great lighting and music, and very clean, oh yeah and while we had our tea they came and washed our feet!  So Kyle and I both had male masseuses, and we were in booths next to each other, so they opened the curtain between the two.  I really enjoyed the massage, very relaxing.  I joked about them charging Kyle extra since he is so big.  Kyle liked his massage too except for the two times the guy really stretched out his bad shoulder.  Towards the end they sit behind you with a pillow and grab your arms and kind of pull you backwards.  This was what really hurt his shoulder. 

After our super cheap, super relaxing massage we went out to find some dinner.  Then it was off to bed!

Comments

1

I'm home sick for you! I was sad to have missed your call. Anderson & I have a 4 day weekend, no exciting plans like yours. Just some down time & a few chores. Anderson had a dream about you two, you came home and came to our house and you both were huge, you had on fat pants and Kyles face was just roll after roll. All of your foodie talk must have gotten in his head. Funny! I love you be careful.
Love M

  Mom Jun 28, 2008 1:12 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.