Existing Member?

Live as if this is all there is!

June 24, Seoul, South Korea

SOUTH KOREA | Tuesday, 24 June 2008 | Views [683] | Comments [1]

Today we needed to send off a package of stuff we didn’t want to lug around with us anymore.  I also wanted to get a pedicure.  But we walked around, took the subway, and argued with four different people at two different fedex’s, tried to have lunch, and then tried to find another place to eat, tried to find wine ( I needed some), took a long cab ride, and shopped for presents for Younga and her family.  That night we were suppose to take the subway to Nami’s college friends house to have dinner with her family and sleep over, before heading to the airport.  The day was a big flop until we met up with Younga.  We could find anywhere cheap to mail our package, and we couldn’t find any good food.  I hate not being about to read the signs at the different businesses.  But we finally made it to Younga’s.  We had Korean melon, kiwi, and tea with her.  Then her daughter came home and showed us her hamster, she was so cute with her little pet!  Younga and her husband were way too generous to us!  They gave up their own bed for basically perfect strangers!  This showed me so much about how good people can be, and it has insirered me to be a better person.  My last year in college I learned a lot about valuing people more than things, this trip so far has been teaching me what is important too.  For her and her husband to give up their bed to people they hardly know, buy us dinner, and basically take really good care of us, also shows me what should be important.  Thank you Younga!  The time with you and your family was very special to us. 

After Younga’s son got home, we went to dinner!  Another pork place, but this was the best by far.  So yummy!  Younga’s husband showed up to the restaurant, and they both were surprised at how much we liked Korean food, and how much we knew about how to eat it!  After dinner we went back to their apartment, which was in one of those huge apartment buildings/complexes, but it was very nice, and a lot bigger than we thought.  All the tall apartment buildings resemble what I have seen in movies about the Projects in Chicago, well the Korean apartments aren’t run down, so anyway I had this idea that it would be cramped with people everywhere, but it was very nice, and I didn’t feel like it was over crowded or anything.  The layout of their apartment really made it seem bigger, and more spread out.  They also had a great view!  Back at their house, we sat around the kitchen table and talked over Guiness, and anju (snacks) even though we were utterly full from dinner.  Then it was off to bed, an early morning and flight to Bangkok!  Nami called to talk to us right before we went to bed.  It is so fun getting calls in another country.  It makes me feel not so far away, and so distant from my life back home.

By the way, I am totally homesick!  Kyle says he’s not, that he doesn’t even think about back home, I think he is like that because of the Navy and always being gone.  But this is a long time for me to be away from home, either MN or CA.  I miss my little kitties very much, and I really miss my bed!!  I surprisingly even miss doing the dishes!  Well I send my love to everyone back home in both our homes, MN and CA!!! XOXOXOOXO

Comments

1

I knew you would discover how kind Korean people are. Younga and her husband are like my own sister and brother. We've known for a long time. I miss them so dearly. I am very happy that you and Kyle had a wonderful time. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

  Nami Jun 27, 2008 8:54 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.