Existing Member?

Live as if this is all there is!

June 23, Seoul, South Korea

SOUTH KOREA | Monday, 23 June 2008 | Views [619]

This day was one of my favorites so far!  We had our complimentary toast, banana and juice, then I slept more while Kyle went off in search of this pumpkin porrage we had read about.  He came back and we ate it in bed and watched 50 First Dates.  We finally left the hotel after 12 noon!  But we didn’t care it was a great way to start the day.  We wanted some fried chicken and beer, but those places are only open at night so we went to find this place that was suppose to have flame-thrower hot chicken, Kyle has been dying for some spicy food.

We walked all the way there, after trying about 5 different ATM’s trying to find one that would take our card!  We found the restaurant right away.  Too bad we are finally getting the hang of Korea and now we have to leave tomorrow!  The food was so good and spicy.  I was nervous because I can’t handle as much spice as Kyle but it was so good.  The restaurant had wooden tables and benches and was really nice looking, we ordered a whole chicken and lots of beer (mekju!)  The chicken came chopped up on the bone in this spicy broth, with rice noodles, potatoes, carrots, green squash, onions, and peppers!  It was so good.  We pigged out and almost finished the whole thing!  Afterwards we were so tired we contemplated going back to the room to sleep, but it was such a nice day it didn’t make sense to do that.  Even though we were super full, we saw a Baskin Robbins and had a little ice cream, then went across the street and had some espresso.  Feeling a little refreshed we went to a DVD room, picked out a Korean romantic comedy with English subtitles, and relaxed.  I think the movie was called The Beast and the Beauty, it was really cute!  After the movie we took the subway to Namsam tower, we took a cable car up the mountain, and then an elevator up to the tower.  It was just like any other tower in any other city I have been to before.  It points out different sites around the city, lists facts about the tower and the city, and charges way too much for anything sold there.  But I did get to use what they said was the highest toilet in the world, another one to add to my tour of Asian toilets!

After laughing at the brochure for this touristy area, that called these lights on sticks a very amazing sight, we went back down, had way over priced Italian Food, and then walked down the hill to a busy street.  Kyle wanted to make our way over to Hongik University but when we got in a cab and told him over 5 times where we wanted to go and he still didn’t understand us, we decided to just walk around where we were.  I wasn’t feeling good, the Big D.  So I was ready to call it a night.  We still wanted to check out a bar, maybe even a night club.  We tried to go to a disco, but they make you buy these “sets” before you go in, either a beer set or a whiskey set, and then you get a table and some side dishes, remember unhealthy to drink without eating!  It was 80,000 Won for the whiskey set, and 50,000 won for the beer set, way too much for us.  We found another bar that was just a bar with music, and about 8 people in it.  Oh, but they were very interesting people.  Two girls were dancing, and smoking together (the first young women we have seen in Korea smoking!) and then there were two guys dancing together a little ways away from the girls.  It seemed as thought one of the guys was gay but I couldn’t tell for sure.  Then they finally started dancing together, and taking pictures together.  I told Kyle to offer to take a picture of all four of them but they misunderstood and thought he wanted to be in the pictures with them!  It was hilarious, and lead to an interesting rest of the night.  They ended up hugging Kyle, and I think the one guy was gay because he hugged Kyle for a long time and his hand travelled very close to Kyle’s butt!  I was laughing so hard.  Kyle just kept smiling and trying to slam his drinks.  Then they got him to dance with them, and Kyle HATES dancing, so this was great for me to watch until they pulled me in!  More pictures and more dancing, then we watched the guys trying to close the deal with the girls.  It was very fun to watch!

On our way back to the hotel we called Stephanie, at work to say hello-since she is Korean!  I knew she would want to hear from us while we were in her country.  We had to call her at work since I was dumb and didn’t bring any phone numbers with me, so I can only call the numbers I have memorized.  Sorry to everyone I haven’t called I don’t know that many phone numbers.  If you would like a call, email us your phone numbers and we will try to call.  I got to talk to some people at SMLLP, and I told Jenn about the crazy dream I had about her the night before.  Then Kyle and I just went back to the room.  The next day is our last day in Korea!

 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.