Existing Member?

Live as if this is all there is!

June 27, Bangkok, Thailand to Siem Reap, Cambodia

THAILAND | Friday, 27 June 2008 | Views [768] | Comments [1]

In the middle of Asia, after dealing with the hounding, and often charming touts, I and I alone have found a haven in the middle of Cambodia for Kyle and I to take refuge.  And not just any haven, but one that has Mikey written all over it.  Sexy men in little bathing suits eyeing Kyle, young, dark and handsome Cambodian lady-boys with luscious locks to look after us, strong drinks and an inviting pool.  Oh and Air conditioning, cold towel, iced tea on arrival, and a wonderfully smelling room, all for $23 USD!! How can you get any better than this?!!  And Mikey doesn’t like Asia!!  But wait, how can this get any better?  Well, the name of this wonderful haven is “The Golden Banana!”  Ha, I love it!

After stopping at four hotels before demanding to go to one listed in the LP (Lonely Planet)        , we finally found this one.  Right now as I type this I am in a place like none I have ever been to before.  It is totally like a movie, you know, where the main characters get to know all the people who work at the resort he is staying at, and feels like a local.  Well we are sitting by the pool enjoying local Cambodian beer, after eating the best burgers I have had in a really long time, sorry Tooties!  Mine, the bleu cheese burger and Kyle’s the Kiwi burger, with a beet and pineapple. 

Today has been extremely long, we got up at 4am to take a taxi to the bus station to take a bus 4.5 hours to the border of Thailand and Cambodia, then had to get to the border by tuk-tuk (A three wheeled covered scooter) after meeting a Romanian woman, who was going to share a taxi with us to Siem Reap, another 3 and some hours after the border!  We got through the border crossing without too much trouble, except for a few children trying to shade us for money with umbrellas, and young men trying to convince us to go with them and use their taxis.  Kyle was a target and tried his best to thwart them to no avail!  Finally we made it into Cambodia, and to a taxi, which was, I am sure a scam, but still a good deal. 

We went over 160 km for $60 USD which we shared with Anca, the Romanian we met on the bus.  She was very nice, well travelled and travelling on her own.  The taxi ride from the border to Siem Reap was very exciting.  The seat belts didn’t have buckles so we went without, and the road was not paved in most parts. 

We saw skinny cows, and even a moped hooked up with an I.V., and naked boys along the road.  Our driver, who didn’t speak English, stopped several times to lift the hood and rev the engine, and pee in the rice paddy.  The road was so bumpy and curvy, and there were so many near misses, it was a good thing I couldn’t see out the front of the car very well.  The drivers’ side of the vehicle is on the right, yet they drive on the right as well, whereas on other countries I have been to when they sit on the right side they drive on the left.  Well this driver was all over the road, but we made it safe and sound. 

Transferred to a tuk-tuk that took as all over the city looking for a hotel.  The guide at first thought we were looking for a cheap backpacker motel, but we are beyond that (Angy is stuck up and thinks that she is “beyond that”).  You can pay $10 more and get really great place, and really what is the difference between $12 and $24 dollars, when you are talking about a clean place to stay.

Although the room at the hotel I was shown prior to the Golden Banana was #313, I didn’t get a good vibe from the place.  But this place is all I could have hoped for and more.  I want to stay here forever.  Although the streets are dusty, and it is very poor here, the people seem happy.  Even the children who are walking the streets without shirts on asking for money are having a good time.  I am of course comparing this to the children that I had seen at the border of Mexico.  Those children weren’t even smiling. 

Right now, I am sitting on a lounge chair by the pool (by the way, our “guide” tried to take us to another hotel that he said had the only swimming pool in Siem Reap, funny since I am right now at a completely different hotel, sitting by the most inviting magical swimming pool I have ever seen!) updating our “in demand” blog, while Kyle chats up the locals and the tourists, who happen to be Korean, still our favorite people, but maybe not our favorite place.  I think I might put my feet in the pool for a bit and then go to bed.  Kyle and I might explore Angkor Wat tomorrow, and the next day.  Lots of walking in the humidity but we are getting used to that!

P.S. Angy and I still have bulgogi bellies

 

Comments

1

Mikey, hell. What about the rest of us???????????????

  Mom Jun 29, 2008 7:56 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.