Existing Member?

Two girls, one cup of noodles

Fun with Friends, Part 2

THAILAND | Sunday, 2 June 2013 | Views [521]

After 6 days in Cambodia, we made our way to Bangkok via bus.  Sadie and Robin got to experience Thai time, i.e. a 6 hour bus ride took 8 hours.  Bus is full, we're all ready to go, driver is in the driver seat, yet we're just sitting there, waiting to go, for about 40 minutes.  Once we were on our way, we had to make two pit stops for the restrooms and gas which each took 30 minutes.  For some reason, filling a tank of gas here takes at least 30 minutes.  You cannot be in a hurry if you're on a bus in Thailand.  

Our time in Bangkok had an interesting twist to it.  On our way to Cambodia, Jennifer and I sat next to an American guy who is a sports agent here in Bangkok.  He is currently representing a young Indian tennis player who is quickly moving up the ranks to go pro.  A large tournament was being played in Bangkok while we were there and we were invited to join.  Other than that, we did your usual tourist stuff.........visited a few temples, took a boat tour and a boat taxi, saw a python in the river, hung out on Khao San Road.

After a few days in Bangkok, we were on our way to Krabi, or, most importantly Koh Phi Phi.  Koh Phi Phi gave us a run for our money but overall was pretty fun.  There were several injuries involving humans and coral and rocks and the pterodactyls, otherwise known as mosquitos.  In what may have been the best day, we  took a boat tour of the islands with friends we made at our hostel, stopping to feed monkeys, swim in the bluest water I've ever seen (it was literally aquamarine), snorkle (my first time), and concluded the day hiking up to the viewpoint of the island to watch the sunset.  

We concluded our Asian adventure with another small trip, this time to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  Along the way, several other travelers have tried to discourage us to come here, saying it was boring and expensive.  Do not listen to other people's opinions of places to visit!  See for yourself.  I love Kuala Lumpur, other than the fact that it holds the bittersweet memory of our friends leaving to return to America.  More to come on KL.........  

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.