Existing Member?

Two girls, one cup of noodles

The View from the Top

MALAYSIA | Friday, 21 June 2013 | Views [480]

Our last story ended in Koh Phi Phi with Sadie and Robin, but our adventure with them did not stop there.  Jennifer and I needed to make another border run to renew our visa for Thailand (when you enter Thailand by land, like we did from Cambodia, you only get a 15 day visa.  Our time was running out.)  This time, we decided to go to Kuala Lumpur, KL.  Sadly, Sadie and Robin would leave from KL, but we had a few days with them here.  KL is a big city with a great free bus that goes to most parts of the city.  However, there's not a lot of history or sightseeing to be done here.  We caught a few movies--Sadie and I saw The Great Gatsby and then all four of us saw The Hangover III.  Few observations about the movies:  first, they have assigned seating.  So, like a concert, you actually choose the seats you want to sit in.  This seems very efficient for opening night of popular movies, but we had to wait in line much longer than anticipated for tickets while people were choosing their seats.  And we had to choose our seats for the Great Gatsby even though we were two of about 20 people in the theater.   Oh, one benefit of assigned seating:  I actually lost our tickets between the ticket counter--food stand--check in line.  But, because we knew our seat numbers, they just let us in.  Whew.  Second observation:  humor is a bit different.  There were parts of The Hangover III where the locals were laughing and I didn't understand why and parts where we were laughing hysterically and getting funny looks.  Lastly, movies here are MUCH cheaper.  I believe we paid about $7 for The Great Gatsby in 3D.

 

We also checked out the Aquarium which was incredible.  They had a very large tunnel aquarium, so as we're walking through there are sharks and turtles and sting rays all around us.  We walked through twice.  After Sadie and Robin left, Jennifer and I checked out the Petronas Towers and I also visited the Botanical Gardens and a few historical sights.  Check out my photos!

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.