Existing Member?

Around the World in 210 Days

Rome Antics

SWITZERLAND | Saturday, 1 December 2007 | Views [923] | Comments [6]

Our last few days in Rome, were very similar to our last few days in Paris. They were of course precipitated by a strike. The French may have invented the strike which lasts forever, but the Italians mastered the strike that hurts the most. Thursday evening as we were out on the town waiting for a bus, an obnoxious American loudly proclaimed, I wonder if these people know there are no buses coming. As we had been waiting for the better part of 15 minutes, we inquired as to why….it turns out, three blocks away, thousands of taxis were protesting. By protesting, we mean, they parked across four lanes of traffic encircling all of the major monuments, and screwing up traffic royally. We marveled at the sea of white cabs, took ten or so photos, and jauntily walked down to the coliseum where we metro’d home. That night, Andrew, while checking our Saturday flight, noticed that all the flights out of our intended airport were cancelled on Friday due to an Air Traffic Control strike. We were nervous, not because we would have minded staying in Rome for an extra day, but because when we purchased our tickets to Istanbul, to get the “best deal” we purchased one ticket from Rome to Basle (Switzerland) for Saturday, and due to scheduling conflicts we purchased a separate ticket from Basle to Istanbul for the next day, anticipating staying in the airport overnight. Therefore, we weren’t sure if our flight got cancelled on Saturday how we would be able to catch our 7:00 flight to Istanbul on Sunday. The next morning we decided to spend our last day in Rome eating gelato and re-exploring our favorite places.

Well after waiting for a bus for a good twenty minutes, a nice English chap kindly explained to us that all of the buses had been cancelled. No problem, we’ll walk to the metro we replied, er…no…all the metro had been cancelled, and if you were going to a funeral forget the hearse, they were striking too. Anyone who worked in transportation in Italy had taken the day off in protest of budget cuts….well except for the extortionate cabs that were happy to break the strike and the bank all in one blow. So with no way to get to the heart of Rome, we decided to visit a nearby flea market that had caught Alex’s eye on the bus rides to metro station. So we put on our coats and walked the mile or so to the flea market. It was more of an outdoor grocer, but we discovered their food stands, which were fantastic. We shared a meal of lasagna and Pomodora with Riso…aka a tomato stuffed with rice served with a side of savory potatoes. After that we bought some fruit for our airport camping trip, and then explored the neighborhood, which included a stop at a Pasticceria, a Chinese .37 cent store, and of course a Mc Donald’s. We had heard the strike was supposed to end at 4:30, so we went back to our hostel and packed until 5, when the buses were running again. After that, it was easy to get into Rome, so we decided to go into some Piazza’s and do some last minute souvenir shopping, which included two watercolors, and a Christmas Pinnochio ornament, for the tree we’ve been told we are going to have in Turkey. We also had one last cone of gelato—unfortunately, we didn’t choose the store very well, and I think we got the ice milk version of gelato.

This morning, we woke up at 6:00, dressed, returned the key to our bungalow, and traversed by bus, subway, bus, and airplane to get to Switzerland. Of course there were three hours of line standing before we arrived, but we made it, and have now set up camp on a lovely abandoned terrace overlooking the rest of the airport and France and Germany, so we’re told, as this airport is on three borders. We have a lovely padded couch with four seats, and no intervening armrests, a plug a foot from the bench, thirty foot vaulted ceilings in a nice metallic shine, with spacious interior, marble tiling, multiple restrooms, a Rolex wall clock, and lovely Chrismas tree lighting. The floor to ceiling glassed in views allow for plenty of natural sunlight, as well as a full length mirror at night. Best of all, it cost us only our dignity. But with a deck of cards, some dice from a 37 cent store, and our laptop, we are able to make this humble abode our home. At least until 5:00 in the morning when we queue up for our first line. The only mishap from our trip was when the 2 liter water bottle we had so intelligently packed in expectation of our camping trip busted en route all over the bottom half of one of our bags. Thankfully not the one with the watercolor.

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

 

Comments

1

Okay you guys do know how to have an adventure.
I'll give you that.

Time for some Turkey

but before you forget Italy I wanted to ask...did anyone there know Dario? Did you tell them that you knew ONE GUY FROM ITALY?

  Richard King Dec 3, 2007 12:44 PM

2

I think in my research I have uncovered a clue as to why we are not hearing much out of Istanbul.

Exhibit A
Surrounding Taksim Square are numerous restaurants, pubs, and international fast food chains such as Pizza Hut, McDonald's and Burger King.

  Rrrricardo Dec 4, 2007 11:16 AM

3

I am sorry to say but all of us reading your post knew before you about the strike, but glad that you were able to get out of Rome ok, I like the sound of your abode, and humble or not, hey you can't beat free. I really do think that you two should call ahead to your places of travel to find out if strikes are likely to be incurred, and if it is a maybe, I would bank on it. The pictures of the taxis should be great. I am sorry to hear that you did not love your last ice cream cone in Italy, but hey you can't win them all. So will you have good internet in Turkey? It looks like you will have enough fast food places to eat at, so we should hear from you quite alot. Andrew did you tell the rude American to be nice, that all of us in the US depend on the American travlers to be the best they can be, so as not to make all Americans look like asses? I thought you two were not going to buy anything as you do not have room in your bags for things like first aid items? Who left the lid off the bottle in the bag? At least maybe you got a free wash of some clothes, but please do not hang them in the airport to dry, use the hand dryer in the restroom instead. Was the 39 cent store the equal to the dollar stores here? They have some really neat stuff sometimes. Hope you two are having a good time and that we will hear from you soon. love to you both, mom

  mardi Dec 4, 2007 2:15 PM

4

Mardi

I don't want to upset Coco and other dog but
Andrew and Alex are two timing your dogs with a couple of Turkish dogs they are taking on long walks and having quiet dinners with.

  tattle tale guy Dec 5, 2007 12:06 PM

5

you two have broke coco and tigger's hearts, here they have been so true to you and now I hear that you are cheating with a couple of cheap, second hand dogs that don't even speak english. that's just wrong. and after the injury tigger suffered at the hands of something that took all the skin off below his nose and lower lip, but still he has not been kissing anyone while your gone, he will be so hurt to know that in his time of pain and sorrow you two are being untrue. oh well it is in a dogs nature to forgive and forget but this will be truly hard. i hope your happy with yourselves, and that your dasterdly deed does not keep you up at night regretting your cheap liason with the foriegn mutty dogs. i just hope that andrew's poor dog does not hear of your misdeeds. repent before you come back and then you will need to get down on your knees(yes on the hard stone floors of the castle) and beg the forgiveness of these wonderful, loving, true and honest puppies that are here waiting every minute of the long days and nights for the return of you both. shame, shame, shame on you both. i still love you but this will take time to get over, so to make it up to us and andrew's family i do believe you need to write a post at least daily to make up for this bitter dissapointment and shame brought on our names by the two of you. mom

  mardi Dec 5, 2007 2:04 PM

6

I will donate this link so everyone can pretend they are hearing about life in Istanbul from Alex and Andrew:

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/

Please note in the features section they are excited about a new season of Desperate Housewives so... our two travelers will get plenty of exposure to a different culture.

Lets see Annie top that!

  Wiseguy Dec 6, 2007 6:59 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.