Existing Member?

My Asia I fell in love with Cambodia in 2002. I am fortunate enough to now be able to enjoy regular trips. I hope you enjoy following me and that the information is useful to some!

Yangon

MYANMAR | Tuesday, 25 June 2013 | Views [539] | Comments [1]

Arrived in Yangon perfectly on time, thank you Air Asia once again. Yangon Airport was like a library so big and quiet , through and out with no problems and into a taxi (7000 Kyat) to Classique Inn. The Guest House is in the quiet embassy area and there are so many very palatial homes and buildings, very colonial. 

In the two days we have been here we have visited The Strand Hotel - very  raffles like! The riverfront and all is hustle and bustle, china town and the Kheng Hock Keong temple, the largest Chinese temple in town, great tea house across from it, enjoyed two teas and a pork bun all for 1000 kyat (one dollar). The Sule Pagoda, a 2000 year old pagoda in the middle of the towns main round about! 

The Shwedagon Paya is an amazing place and l rate it as the second best temple l have ever seen, the first being Angkor Wat. It is simply stunning. Cost 10 dollars for both of us, money goes to the Govt for its up keep! Only foreigners pay! It is so big and very spread out, the main stupa or Zedi is completely solid! We prayed and were prayed for but sweet old men scamming us for money, but of course we obliged as we actually did learn from them. There is nothing in English so you really have no idea about any of it other than what you read in your guide book. We spent about 3 hours here just absorbing and wandering. 

Bogyoke Aung San Market is a terrific market but doesn't really open until 10 ish, this town wakes up slowly and late! We had a grEat meal in a lane way on the small kid like plastic chairs and table, a feast for 5 dollars, iced coffees, soup, noodles and coke! And lovey kids laughing at us! 

The Botatuang Paya pagoda along the river front is no where near as spectacular as the above, almost a bit bleh, but its done now! 

Kandawgi Lake was lovey, stunning view looking back at the Shwedagon Paya. It poured rain so we sheltered in a coffee house that happened to sell gelati! Oh well! 

There are so many contrasts and clashes in this town, modern, old, run down, falling down, poor and rich, seems to be no middle class or middle row, just rich or poor. you could spend a week here looking at all the amazing spectacular colonial buildings, most are very run down and falling down and beside them they are building condominiums! The locals still were their longis and there are bill boards advertising modern brands, what the....

Its just a bit like that! 

 

Comments

1

Enjoying from a far, keep up the posts!

  Desleigh Jun 25, 2013 7:55 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.