Existing Member?

These boots were made for walking After spending a year on a University exchange trip I'll be heading back home to Canada at the end of November. I'll be taking a couple detours on the way home stopping in New Zealand and then Hawaii.

Rotorua

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 4 December 2005 | Views [717] | Comments [2]

Ok, I had written a long detailed entry a couple days ago but it looks like something went wrong with it so I will just quickly qrite up the recent events since I don't wish to spend all that time writing it again.

The trip to Rotorua was uneventful although I did meet a nice older woman who I got an invite to come stay with when I go to England.  She lives in the Shropshire area, I'll keep her information in case I am in the area.  I was quite impressed with her since she was nearly 80 and travelling solo around New Zealand, enjoying many of the walks and planning white water rafting.

My first day in Rotorua I went zorbing which is basically two plastic balls held together with cords.  You climb into the inner ball and then are rolled down a hill.  It was fun, although perhaps not something best done right after breakfast.  It's pretty funny to watch other people go down and heard these screams as they roll down. 

I spent the afternoon walking through some of the geothermal areas around the edge of the city centre.  All of Rotorua has a unique smell, caused by the geothermal activity.  How to describe it?  Well, it smells like a mixture of rotten eggs and passed gas.  Sometimes you can't really smell it and then the breeze blows...  You can definately smell it when walking through the geothermal areas though.

Yesterday I took a shuttle out to the buried village.  If any of you have ever heard of pompeii, it's a similar sort of thing.  About a hundred years ago a volcano errupted and the village was covered in mud.  You can now walk around the excavated buildings and see many of the artifacts that they found.  It was pretty interesting.

On the way home I had the shuttle driver drop me off at the California Redwood Forest.  I was told it was a nice 45 minute walk back to town.  I'm sure it is if you don't get lost.  I swear I spent 3 hours walking.  I finally realized that the map I was using was a mirror image of what it should be.  Once I pretended that I had the map face down and was seeing through the paper I was able to find my way back.

Last night I booked myself into a Maori concert and dinner.  I hadn't done anything to get acquainted with Maori culture yet so I was really looking forward to it.  The concert was great, I just wish that it wasn't so dark since I was unable to get too many decent pictures.  For dinner I sat with a group of fellow backpackers, all great people.  I always find myself inspired to travel more when I talk to other travellers.  Dinner was great, spring rolls, samosas, the first leafy greens I've seen in a while and a great dessert. 

This afternoon I went white water rafting.  It was something I've always wanted to do but just never had the chance before.  Apparently the 7m waterfall that we went over is the highest commercially rafted waterfall in the world.  Going over the falls was pretty cool.  I met some fellow Canadians, one was from milton so he now has the award for person I've met on my travels that lives closest to home.

Tomorrow I've booked to take a shuttle to the Waitomo Caves.  I'm booked to do this abseiling, tubing, caving, etc. trip.  I'm really looking forward to it.  That will be the last adventure activity of New Zealand.  That's good since they are so expensive (although worth it).

After splurging on fast food for several days I'm back to self catering so at least I'll save some money there.  That said, in Wellington I had one of the best veggie burgers I've ever had.  And some I've had some other great meals as well.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Andrea, It was so nice conversing with you tonight on msn. Wow, you have been busy! You're going to be so bored when you get home. Hope the rest of your trip is fun and uneventful. I'm so looking forward to seeing you at Christmas....barring any plane delays!!! You are cutting it close! Take Care, Love Mom

  Mom Dec 4, 2005 5:31 PM

2

Hi Andrea, Christy here from World Nomads. I look after the journals and want to make sure that everything's ok. Sorry to hear that you lost your long entry recently - very frustrating I know. We have a 1 hour time-out in the journals for security reasons - this means that you have 60 minutes from clicking Create New Article to hit 'Submit'. You can always submit an unfinished article, then re-open it and finish any edits. Or save it as a "Draft" article unitl you're happy with it. The important thing is to ensure you 'submit' or 'post' once an hour to keep your work safe. I'd be interested to know if you think this is enough time - or should we change the rules? By all means click on my name below to email me and give any other feedback. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

  crustyadventures Dec 5, 2005 10:56 AM

About andrea


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.