Existing Member?

These boots were made for walking After spending a year on a University exchange trip I'll be heading back home to Canada at the end of November. I'll be taking a couple detours on the way home stopping in New Zealand and then Hawaii.

Waitomo Caves

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 6 December 2005 | Views [780]

Yesterday was one probably the best day of my trip so far. I went caving in the Waitomo caves. We started with a small 75 foot abseil down to the cave entrance. We then walked through an underground river and sat down in our inner tubes. Looking up in the darkness the roof the the cave is lit by the glow worms. It appears as though you are stargazing except the stars are blue. You are able to see the contours of the cave due to the glow worms covering the surface. After a nice float with the inner tubes we left them in order to go caving. It's absolutely incredible down there. Your underground but you can find yourself looking 30 metres into up. Although this was just an introduction to caving I will definately do it again sometime. I'm off to Auckland in an half hour. Next entry should be in a couple days. Take care.

Tags: Adventures

About andrea


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.