Existing Member?

Ana and Emmas Journal Adventures around the world

great ocean road

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 21 December 2006 | Views [870]

The next day..nursing slight hang overs we head off along the great ocean road…it takes about an hour or so to get out of Melbourne which for once we manage with no disasters. We stop off for some fish in “torquay” before starting the ocean road proper. There are several photo opportunities along the way..with winding coastal roads, “bells beach” and best of all the great ocean road sign….featuring our beloved van.

After driving for a couple of hours we decide to stop off at Apollo bay campsite for the night…this is a small campsite with heated pool and amazing views or at least there would be if the area wasn’t blighted by smoke from the neaby bush fires and a plague of flies that seems to be covering the entire state of Victoria.

We cook a meal in the van and manage to stink out my freshly washed clothes! We go to bed early for a early start in the morning to get to the twelve apostles.

The Apostles are a group of rocks jutting out from the ocean providing a scenic backdrop to an already picturesque coastline. We walk down to take as many photos as we can before the flies finally drive us insane..not sure how aussies cope with these.

Other stops along the way included a lighthouse and blow holes….but I must admit to having residual scenery fatigue from our trip to NZ … it seems you can have too much of a good thing and become rather complacent at what I am sure are magnificent sights.

Tags: ambassador van, on the road

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.