Existing Member?

Ana and Emmas Journal Adventures around the world

Towards Melbourne

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 11 December 2006 | Views [798]

Listen to podcastListen to podcast

We go shopping for our food essentials for the van making sure we don’t go over board; we just buy a couple of steak, veg and pork, for ana to rustle up good meals in evenings. Ana insists we need insect spray, spider killer and mosquito repellent lamp…………… ironically the buggers that annoy us most of all are the god damn flies.

Head for our first destination of Jervis Bay, reading in the lonely planet it was worth a visit! Took us ages to get out of Sydney, due to our incompetence of map reading and the one way systems, following coast road and spend our first night in the small town of Kiama, visit blow holes where 60 feet of water spurts from a small hole in the rocks, not exactly up to new Zealand standards but emma is impressed with the unusual rock formations around the hole.

Next day we drive carry on driving towards Jervis bay, on the way we decide to stop off at Nowra to visit the Wildlife Park. Here we see our first kangaroo’s, koalas and wombat! We hoped we would be able to hold a koala but it turns out thet it is illegal now, never mind we got a photo stroking one so that made emma happy…strange little creatures they are, ana’s fact of the day is that apparently they eat so much eucalyptus that they catch fire really easily because they have so much eucalyptus oil in their fur. We Carry on driving and finally arrive at huskisson in Jervis Bay a very picturesque town where we plan to go dolphin watching and swim in sea pool if weather stays nice.

That evening go to local bar and observe the locals fancy dress evening.

Next morning ana has a chat with a fello camper he thinks the cricket started that day, ana unsure and thought it was Friday, get a paper and he was right cricket was starting today!!!! This meant ana bowed out of dolphin watching and sat in pub to watch cricket. I went to dolphins which were really cool; just wish we could have got in the water with them.

Day ends well with ana having a rare comic moment with a waitress at a cafe…..I have a cappuccino, and ana has a flat white, we need to get going so ask the waitress if we can pay bill……she asked ‘ was it just two cups?’ meaning two cups of coffee, Ana misheard and thought she had said ‘two caps’ (thinking it was some kind of street abbreviation for cappuccino), ana’s reply to this was ‘no one cap and a flat white’ he unknowingly sorts out his money while the waitress looks quizzically at me wondering if ana was taking the piss or not. We Head off with me explaining to ana his amazing wit without evening knowing it!!

At least it was payback anyway for there have been quite a few occasitons where ozzies have taken the piss out of our accents anyway.

That evening drive to Batesman bay set up camp and continue listening to cricket on radio, all is ok and England have hope.

Bad weather when got up, had rained in night and we had left windows open and chairs out so everything is soaking wet, decide to use this day to do a lot of driving, Heading as far as we can get towards Melbourne. We stop off in the small town of tilba tilba to visit a cheese factory and grab food. We listen to cricket on the way as ana can’t believe what is happening to the English batsman. With very little petrol to spare we arrive that evening in cape Conran we have a look at a few beautiful beaches and soak up the chilled atmosphere.

think we may stay here for few days.(Cricket looking Shite anas mood changes)

Tags: ambassador van, on the road

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.