Existing Member?

Ana and Emmas Journal Adventures around the world

Road trip

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 6 November 2006 | Views [1042]

went into whitianga, nice beachside town, basically just strolled around and saw what there was to do the next day went to karaoke bar in evening....saw some locals performing country and western "classics"
Arrived in whitianga to a cool camp site with trampoline infront of camper, both decided to start our fitness training, I go first displaying some super knee drops, ana same, until I suggest a lying down front drop where ana puts his nose and back out. Slightly funny to watch, ana laughing and whaling in agony.
Go out for some drinks to discover the town of whitianga, find bar with karaoke competition of country and western songs, as usual the same singers just kept singing ,although considerably better than the globe Sunday karaoke. Local atmosphere changes after a bus load of kiwi experience goers turn up, annoy the locals and take of karoke with songs sung badly from grease.


next day went to buffalo beach and saw people picking clam like things from the low tide and putting them in buckets..i chatted to a local and found out they were called pipi's (not sure of spelling) but they are so abundant you juyst stick your hand in the sand and grab the biggest ones you see...which is exactly what we did, kept them in bag ful of sea water anfd got them back to van
soaked them over night and thought about whther to risk eating them.
saw some fire work display on beach in evening...had a nice meal for a change and decided we are going on low carb diet from now on.
both had oysters for the first time..think they would be an acquired taste :)
headed of around mecuy bay to cathedral cove, 45 minute walk down coast slope and your there, quite a stunning bit of coast line with some cool blow holes and caves.
got back to van and discovered water tank is leaking ...wil have to see what to do about that
found nice camp site on hahei beach and decided to cook pipi's....quite impressed with my cooking skills in such a confined space if i do say so myself
fyi i lightly fried some onion and garlic and then added a splash of white wine and a spoonful of chilli sauce, added the mussels and steamed for 5 mins.
as i write this blog 3 hours after meal we have still suffered no ill affects but time will tell
went for stroll on beach, really nice full moon, few people having bonfires on beach....very pretty
Morning had cooked breaky and headed to Tauranga via hot water beach Where ana dug a hole over a hot spring And lye in there trying to soak up the little sun that was out.
In Tauranga stayed on good site right near water, swam in thermal pool in the rain, stayed the night and mainly did washing that evening. 

Headed off to Rotorua where we went on godala lunge and sky swing, glass studio.

Next stop taupo did walk, ate prawns, fished for prawns, went to Huka falls. Went to had a look at a spa, went to a mowiary village to thermal springs,went to craters of the moon. Saw a kiwi.

Napier relaxed and did more trampoline and wine tour.

Wellington Bought tent, had hair done, went to a hideaway bar, and bought boat ticket to get to south island.

South island   
Picton to nelson drove and sang through beautiful scenery 6-60 very windy roads and high winds, stayed in nelson for 2 nights, went to market again,windy and rain, drove through havlock and ate mussels at mussel boat inn, headed to motueka booked our trip for abel tasman,and dicussed rest of trip with info
woman.worried about missing out on stuff and worried.did abel tasman boat trip and 2 hr walk.saw good rocks, seals one seal eating octopus and 1 penguin swimming in water.had to walk plank to go to loo. Very good beaches at end of walk,Tarrant bay, nice day aswell, finally! Ana tried to capture my moaning on video.

Next drove to Murchison beautiful drive, drove through cape fowlwind, saw blow holes at puniakaiti and pancake rocks,glass studio. Longest swing brige and on rope back.

Headed to glaciers, st franzs glacier walk was closed due to flooding, camp site was very cold,good mountains all around with snow on, everyone looked very fit and had proper equipment. headed to fox glaciers for walk instead was bril!

Next stop wananka both not expecting much, really liked it, good weather and place to rest and clean wash clothes van and ourselves.really good mountains around us, triple cone. Nice bars, met dog, met ben and laura, watched a 6 aside cricket tornament. Watched first part of cricket til2 then rushed to queenstown to catch the rest.

Queenstown drive was dodgey I drove on mountain with v tight bends and wind. Found camp site and sports bar for cricket met up with laura ban and irich dave stayed out and had rdrink, following day managed to watch tv at sight, watched cricket in afternoon and went out on Friday night with others.

Drove through invercagill, and onto core, stayed there slept in afternoon after hard drive THEN WENT OUT FOR SOME ACE RIBS, BROUGHT THEM HOME AND ATE THEM FOR BREAKFAST NEXT DAY.THEN DROVE TO DUNEDIN WHERE WE ARE NOW, BEEN TO ART GALLERY, AND SITTING IN VAN LISTENING TO CRICKET, PLAN TO GO KAYAKYING TOMORROW AND HEAD TO BOULDERS AFTER THAT TO THEN DRIVE TO ……..  TO THEN GET TO CHRISTCHURCH BY 4.30 ON 28TH TO GET OUR BELOVED VAN BACK STY NIGHT THERE AND FLY TO OZ.
 

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.