Existing Member?

Ana and Emmas Journal Adventures around the world

fiji time

FIJI | Friday, 13 October 2006 | Views [807]

13th-21th FIJI

 

Our week in Fiji was relaxing and eventful, arrive in Fiji after 11 hour flight very tired  so as we slugged off the plane we were hit with the very loud sound of music, there in front of us, at this time, were a full band of Fijian men flowers the lot, smiling and singing/dancing for us as we walked through customs J I liked that a lot and thought this may be the place for me. It even brought a smile to no sleep niges face!!!

 

Arriving at hotel the driver from our hotel picked us up and told us it was a hour journey from the airport to hotel I was really annoyed and I got my lonely planet out and asked exactly were he was taking us, he stopped at garage to ask if we wanted anything for long journey, then said he had to stop at his office and we both looked at each other getting mad, he laughed and said only joking this is your hotel, both found it hard to laugh but he was only joking!!! Checked in to find we had booked the wrong date as we had crossed the date line which meant we had booked for following night not that one, luckier they had room, we got a couple of hour sleep, got up early planned which island we wanted to go to and booked accommodation, did our washing, shrunk all of ana s t shirts, did 50 length in pool, had a beer met a few dicks at bar and went to bed.

 

Checked out of room at 7am to leave for boat to our island, Manteray Island! Ana worrying that it might be the equivalent to an 18-30’s holiday resort. I was very excited!!!!

 

Manteraray island was lovely, hut right in the beach, very basic but ace!! Food all included and when you heard the drum boom, you went for your breakfast dinner or lunch, the whole time was very relaxing…………..apart from the one day ana had a 24 hr sickness bug which was not pleasant as the toilets were a hole in the floor with a big drop, enough to make anyone sick!!! 

 

Met 2 really nice couples on the island one had only just got married after only being together a couple of months, both American, another from up north that were cool and so we hung around with them doing activities, sun bathing eating and drinking!!

 The snorkelling and kayaking was mint, only a few times did I get panicked as my mask filled up with water the current was pretty fast and you cant stand on the floor for the coral, so screamed ana to ‘get me back’, him struggling himself, out of laughter managed to rescue me!!!

 

The whole time was relaxing and we both got pretty good tans. On our way back to the main island we had I night at the hotel, met another nice couple, swam at pool and in the evening drank ‘Kava’ the local drink around a fire on mats, also ana and I entered a competition which we got to the finals and won!!!!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.