Existing Member?

Olivers Travels A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Agra & Orchha

INDIA | Wednesday, 3 October 2007 | Views [546] | Comments [2]

Today we left the city of Dehli & headed for Agra.  We took our first train journey today of 3 hours.  We were plesently surprised the cars were air conditioned & the seats even though were worn were comfortable.  once we arrived in Agra we were taken to our room @ Sheela's Inn, this was very basic but ok.  After our quick room inspection we were off to the red fort of Agra, this was amazing.  The whole fort used to be surrounded by a crocodile moat & then a lion & tiger pit.  I wonder if any unwanted guests got through?  The visit to the red fort was very informative & you were able to get some good views of the Taj Mahal.

Our next sightseeing trip was to the Taj Mahal.  The splender of this monument of love is clear to see, however we felt slightly frustrated with the amount of people visiting.  We were unable to find somewhere to sit peacefully.  Everyone around us seemed to be rushing & pushing it kind of ruined the moment for us.

1.10.07: - Ok we are now laying off the meat dishes, Drew had a lamb korma last night & is now not feeling too good.  Imodium was the drug of choice as we are on a 5 hour journey by train to Orchha.  Guess what my dodgy belly started on the train, very unfortunate & an experience that no-one ahouls have.  Well we got to our cottage in betwa Retreat @ about 16.00 & got taken to our very nice Air conditioned & a fridge I think thast this is to sweeten us up for the next trip on the Ganges!@

We all met back @ reception @ about 17.00 & headed into the village to have a look around.  However the looking around ended once Jeet said does anyone fancy a beer?  So we followe3d him to a local restaurant come bar with an amazing view of a 15th Century palace.  We had a few beers & some food & ended up heading back to the cottage @ about 22.30.  Whilst walking back a tractor stopped & all 8 of us climbed into the trailer  for the short ride back, it was a laugh & a good way to end the evening.  

2.10.07: - Got up @ about 7.30 & guess what my stomach did not feel too clever, but I decided to stick with it & go down to breakfast.  After breaky we then went to visit the palace just down the road the one we had a view of last night.  It was fascinating with so many different paintings, one set was of the 10 incarnations of vishnu (sp?)  which over time has become very dirty, but the restoration work they are doing here showed how good all of the paintings will actually look.  I made it through the morning which i was very happy about but after having lunch I had to head back to the room & there we stayed.

3.10.07: - Well today has pretty much been the same as yesterday.  I hate this Delhi Belly thing.  I forced some breakfast down me, just some toast thought & then took some Imodium, now I feel so uncomfortable but a lot more stronger rather than feeling weak & Dehydrated.  Drew is doing better now & has been taking it easy with the food as well. We qalso found out that another person in our group has gone down with the illness.  This is not good considering we will be on a night train tonight!

Anyway enough about illness, today we went for a local cookery class.  It was really special being let into someones home & take in the way other people cook.  I have the recipe's so watch out everyone I might try them on you!

Best go now need to get packed for our lovely night journey on the train.  Will let you know how it goes.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Morning / afternoon / evening guys,

Very interesting read - although all it seems that you have been doing is eating, then suffering the side effects of the food your eating...

Anyway, it does sound like you are having a great time and you have obviously seen many sights and enjoying fantastic experiences already, and its still fairly early days into your trip..

Brief update on your place - all looking good on that front, and you will be very pleased to know that much attention has now been given to your grass - and you know, its looking pretty good.

Apologies for not sending you a message earlier, have not got a valid excuse, just a combination of little time - and never getting round to it.

Take care of yourself guys -

p.s. if you need us to do anything whislt you are away, feel free to ask.

Tony

  Tony Strickley Oct 4, 2007 4:16 PM

2

The dreaded Delhi Belly - there’s no escaping it!!
India certainly sounds like an experience you will never forget and have to admit at being slightly green myself, only with envy at Agra and the Taj Mahal.
Take care and find a Mc Donalds :-)
Nev.

  Paul & Co Oct 6, 2007 4:18 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.