Existing Member?

Olivers Travels A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Culture Shock

INDIA | Wednesday, 3 October 2007 | Views [433]

We woke @ 8.30 & decided to go to the hotel restaurant for breakfast.  We had our toast 7 jam, then we decided to eat some local dishes.  Basically there breakfast, lunch 7 dinner consists of very spicy food.  After breakfast we decided to go for a walk, we lasted about 2 hours.  The streetws were jam packed with cars, rickshaws & buses hooting their horns & everyone pushing into you. Back in the sanctuary of our hotel room we had a little rest until we met our group @ 13.00.

There are 11 in our group & our guide Ranjeet makes 12.  Evreyone is very friendly & I think the culture shock has hit them just the same as us.  After the meeting we then headed out to the train station, which has only been in service for the last 4 years.  We had a short journey on the metro then took a trip to a mosque, once there ranjeet helped us pass the door as a prayer service was just starting.  the mosque was a big open space with brilliant views of the city.

After our brief visit to the mosque we made a short walk to sikh temple, everyone had to wear a scarf to cover their head.  Once this was done we then went into the temple, everyone was very kind to us we even got to go into the kitchen, where anyone who wishes can go for a meal. We were allowed to have some Masala Chai, which is a very sweet tea.  Felt very honourerd to be sitting with everyone else. 

We then headed to the spice market where your sense of smell works over time.  We didi not have time to stop & buy anything as we needed to head back to the hotel for our night out.

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.