Existing Member?

Olivers Travels A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Allahabad and out

INDIA | Saturday, 13 October 2007 | Views [467]

4.10.07: Well the overnight train was quite comfortable, we were in a soft sleeper carriage with AC. Once we arrived @ Allahabad we had a short coach journey to a hotel where we had breakfast (Imodium) & freshen up then headed onto our departure point along the Ganges. There were 4 people to each boat, Drew & I shared with Jenni & Rose. It was a pleasent boat journey although a bit hairy @ times, as each of us thought it would be a good idea to have a go @ rowing, we did not get very far fast!

We had been warned that the water is not the cleanist & best to avoid contact, I will leave it to your imagination what goes into the Ganges. We set up camp on the banks of the Ganges earlier than expected as rain had stopped us going any further. Our home for the night was a very basic tent, but they did the job. Dinner was served under the bright stars on a massive rug, everyone sat around & tucked into what looked like fantastic food. I on the other hand opted for rice!

5.10.07: Today we had an early start of 6.00 so that we were able to see the sun rise over the ganges & get on our way to Varanasi. Today we shared the boat with James & Jeet, it was quiet which was nice & relaxing. Along our way we saw a couple of Gange river dolphins, which are about 1 meter in Length, they went by the boat so quickly that we were unable to take a photo. We had lunch on the boats, anchors went down & opur floating restaurant was exceptionally sturdy. Once lunch was finished we had another hour to our destination, time for a little snooze. We arrived @ hotel Haifa @ about 16.00 & headed out for an orientation walk @ about 17.00. This walk was completed in the pouring rain with as lot of mucky water running @ our feet. We stopped at Assai gaht & learnt that many of the gahts were built by wealthy people. The gahts are all very different, small & quiet, big & busy with street traders, some are for bathing in the ganges along with the cows & others with temples for worshipping. There are also two main funeral gahts where bodies are cremated on a funeral pyre & then the ashes scattered in the Ganges.

6.10.07: Today we met in the hotel lobby for 5.30 however only Imade it. Drew has an awful cold, so i left him in bed to recover. This morning we went on a sunrise cruise along the Ganges starting from Assai gaht (along with a lot of other tourists). We saw people go about their everyday life, welcoming the sun & bathing in the river Ganges.

Drew & I spent most of our free time in the hotel today, with Drew taking Sudafed from a local chemist that I found, we think it has helped!

We ventured out of the room @ about 17.30 so that we could go out on the sunset flower ceremony. To me this part of the day seems fo peaceful & serene. We floated out into the middle of the Ganges & placed candles into the river, each candle representing a prayer or wish. The sight of one hundred odd candles twinkling was a perfect way to end our stay in Varanasi.

7.10.07: Another early morning, 5.15 we left the hotel for the Nepal border. Our journey was uneventful & the majority of the time Drew & I were listening to our ipods & sleeping whilst both of us were popping Sudafed every 4 hours (Yes I now have the cold). Crossing the border was very simple, we only had to fill in one form as we already had our visa from London. Once across the border we hopped onto a local bus which we had hired out. We were supposed to be on a public bus, but there have been a few reported road blocks in Nepal, so it was easier (transport wise) to travel just as a group. Our short journey from the border of behilini bought us to Lumbini, the birth place of Buddha & our next hotel.

The difference in the surroundings are amazing. Roads are wider, cleaner, houses looked well kept & best of all people return your smiles. We are staying st the Buddha Maya gradens tonight & it is fantastic, nice & clean, with an excellent shower.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.