Existing Member?

Olivers Travels A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Botswana - Namibia

NAMIBIA | Tuesday, 11 September 2007 | Views [531]

Wow its been nearly a week scince i updated this site . We have so much to tell you all.

Let me go back to last week when we were in Maun (last web update). On our journey to maun we were able to get a glimpse of giraffe's along the side of the road, they looked so elegant. Once we arrived at our camp called "Crocodile Safari Lodge" we set about putting up our tent & Packing for our 2 nights in the wilderness of the Okovango Delta.

7.9.07: - This morning had a nice hot shower for the last time until 9.9.07.  Once camp is packed away & breakfast eaten we set out to the Delta.  First mode of transport is an open jeep, journey was v bumpy as we were off road.  Once @ the waters edge we were assigned a mokoro, this is a small boat made out of a tree trunk.  Our poler was Johnson who could speak a little English, so he was able to point ou the wildlife along the way.  We had a nice & relaxing ride to our island in the Delta.

Up until now we have been in security guarded camps with fences, here all we have to keep us safe is the knowledge of our local guide Lister, who told us to try & stare a lion out if we come accross one, hilar!

Anyway over the next couple of days we went out on game walks (Without weapons) early in the am & pm.  We saw the following on our walks: - Zebra, Buffalo, Imparla, Elephants.  Thank goodness we only saw tracks of lions.  Whilst staying @ the camp we had animals passing through @ night, not really that much disturbance, no lions in camp!

9.9.07: - We head back to our camp in Maun via the mokoros.  I for one can not wait to get back as early thi am I was sick, yes I know only 1 week in & I was the 1st.  Once back @ the site we spent the whole day relaxing, whilst the rest of the group went into Maun.

10.9.07: - Felt so much better today.  Journey from Botswana to Namibia - Zeldas Game Farm, this was not that bad, roads nearly bump free.  Once @ Zeldas we set up camp yet again & had a v nice hot shower (best by far).

As this is a game farm they have Cheetahs & Leopards that are fed everyday @ dusk.  The Leopard was like a domestic cat, she liked having her ears scrathced by the keeper (just like Dave), however a bit more dangerous.

11.9.07: - We are having a short stop now in windhoek heading onto waterbank.  Will let you know how we get on.

Thank-you all for your comments, look forward to reading more.

Love to you all

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.