Existing Member?

Olivers Travels A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Waterburg, Etosha & Swakopmund

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 15 September 2007 | Views [618] | Comments [4]

11.9.07: - Well after our little stop in windhoek, Robson drove us onto Waterburg Plateau.  This is kind of like Table Top Mountain in Cape Town but a lot bigger.  We set up camp in the well equipt site & sat down with the rest of our group watching the sun set with a few beers.

12.09.07: - We woke @ 5.30 as we were heading out for an early morning trek to the top of waterburg plateau to watch the sun rise.  Our trek was steep in places & we had to climb over many rocks, but once @ the top the view was amazing.  We arrived @ the top with mins to spare before the sun popped up from behind the Plateau.  It was well worth the early morning trek.

13.09.07: - Etosha national park does not disapoint.  On our first game drive yesterday around sunset we saw our first group of lions about 50m away from the truck.  Once back @ our camp site we decided to get a few beers in & head down to the parks waterhole to watch the animals @ dusk.  Here we got our first sighting of a white Rhino, who was happy to pose for the camera.  As we were sitting there over 20 giraffes came in for a drink.  They are quite funny when they drink as they have to spread their front legs out in front of them, then bend down to get a drink.  Griraffes can only drink for short periods of time otherwise the blood goes to their heads & they pass out.

Today we left our camp @ 7.00am for an early morning game drive, this was fantastic.  We saw a further 18 lions including 3 very cute cubs sheltering from the sun ynder a tree.  

15.9.07: -  Well today we are in Swakopmund & we are in a very comfortable lodge with our own room, yeah.  This morning we went sandboarding on the dunes, this was fantastic, I only wiped out once.  However Drew was very good & stayed on the board the whole time.  This is fun except the san gets everywhere & I mean everywhere!

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

Your adventures sound so exciting. Words cannot begin to capture what you are experiencing, we can only try and imagine. You will have so many memories to last a lifetime. It was so emotional to hear your voice yesterday, Andrew, and you have only been away for 2 weeks! Looking forward to your flying visit. Take care but continue to enjoy everything to the full.
All our love, Mum and Mick xxxx

  Pat Sep 16, 2007 7:26 PM

2

Hi to you both, sounds absolutely fantastic and really great that you are getting to see so much of the wildlife. Have been following your itinerary daily to see what you are up to but only just found your latest reports!
Best wishes,
Paul & co
p.s. leg out of plaster - yippee!
p.p.s Alice came second in tennis comp yesterday.

  Nev Sep 16, 2007 8:44 PM

3

Really enjoying following your adventures on line. you are doing a great job keeping us all up to date with your progress. You sure are seeing a good selection of animals. Enjoy your brief stop-over in the UK.

Lots of love Jacky, Pat & Laura xx

  Jacky Pat & Laura Sep 17, 2007 12:35 AM

4

Wow! you sound like you are having the time of your life and alll those animals, am so envious! can't wait to see pics. I follows your adventures normally when Im at work, ssh! : ) and feeling in need of some excitement...

Can't wait for next episode
Debs
x

  Debs Sep 18, 2007 9:49 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.