Existing Member?

The Traveling A team We begin our journey through New Zealand's South Island for 2 weeks, then onto the North. From there our adventure takes us across the Pacific Ocean to South America for 11 amazing weeks!

Iquitos, Peru. A whole world away

PERU | Sunday, 8 February 2009 | Views [908]

Aaron in the healing creek

Aaron in the healing creek

So it was a tiring day of travel from Santiago to Lim, Lima to the remote AMazonian city of Iquitos. The biggest city in the worl unaccessable by road.

Flying sucks over here as every airport stings you hard on a departure tax. So far we have paid about >$200 in tax alone.

Anyway, the city was mad. Motorbike taxis flying around with old cars as taxis and Busses from the 193o´s fight for a place on the road while avoiding kids and paeople and dogs sleeping in the middle of the road. Its Lawless and reckless here, with 3 peaople to a bike minimum.

The road is dotted with little straw huts, often with no power, which became more and more frequent as we got futher and futher to our destination.

Carlos a spiritual healer meet us at the airport with a taxi and we zoomes at 1ooks an hour out about 20ks from the airport. The scenery was fantastic. Rich green jungle palms with bodies of water everywhere.

We got to the start of the track in to the DAS Centre, so it was about a 45 minute muddy slippery track through the jungle with our guide to the centre. Often navigating river crossings on one 4x4 of wood across. Hard with our heavy packs.

We got there with out too much dramas and the sun began to set. We jumped straight into the water and were stinned by our surroundings. A piece of paradise hidden away amoungst the Peruvian Amazon.

That night was amaising fool moon, it was so bright I thought Id get moon burn. The bugs and lizards are amasing here, bit big and so colourfull.

We had some dinner and went to sleep listening to the harmony of Owls, Panthers and insects while our new friend John from Calafornia played blissfully on a japanese flute.

Bliss.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.