Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

525,600 Mintues. How do you measure a year in the life?

PERU | Saturday, 17 April 2010 | Views [543] | Comments [3]

Me and my table of 11 and 12 year olds at lunch.

Me and my table of 11 and 12 year olds at lunch.


“525,600 minutes.  How do you measure a year in the life?  How about love?” 

 

This is the question some bohemian artists struggling to make it in New York ask themselves in the 1996 Pulitzer Prize winning Broadway play “RENT”.   Today marks one year that I have lived in Peru.  I have also been pondering this question, “How do you measure a year in the life of a Peruvian Missionary?”

·      16 short term teams/vision trips

·      6 weeks in Arequipa for language school

·      3 trips to Cajamarca

·      Countless trips to Lima to meet teams

·      Several new job responsibilities

·      1 new Church plant

·      First Christmas away from family and home (and many more other “firsts” from trying guinea pig to surfing)

·      3 weddings (Lenin and Elva, Calin and Heather, and Julton and Julie)

·      4 roommates

·      2 goodbyes to dear missionary families (Bradford’s and Ball’s)

·      1 new family in the field (Mills)

·      5 new families raising support (Davenports, Hills, Lewis’, Suttons, and Ueltcheys)

·      26 Peru Mission interns/fellows (including a name change mid year from Internship to Fellowship)

·      1 big, beautiful new office building!

·      Untold number of new friendships (Peruvian and American)

·      Countless blessings to be able to serve my Lord and follow Him wherever He may lead me and know there is no safer place than the arms of my Savoir!

 

“Lord, are you sure about this?  Do you really want me to go to Peru?  Please make your will known, because if this is what you want, I will go!”  January 2008.  I still remember writing that in my journal as I lay in my tent in the Peruvian Andes after a long day of hiking and thinking and praying.  I had just finished my first mission trip ever.  It was a trip to Trujillo, Peru, to put on the first Twin Lakes Camp in Peru.  Little did I know how that trip – 8 short days – would change my life?  While in Trujillo, I felt the Lord’s presence like I never had before.  After the mission trip, I stayed in Peru and went hiking in the Andes.  It was supposed to be with a group of people, but in God’s providence, it was just I.  This allowed me 4 days of solitude and hiking and praying about God’s plan for my life.  After returning home, I prayed for 6 straight months and had others praying for me.  Then on June 15, 2008, I told Matthew Nasekos that I felt God calling me to go to Peru.  His excitement was so encouraging—especially since I told him, I specifically wanted to do his job (he was raising funds to move there also).  That night I went back to Sheila and Matthew’s house at Twin Lakes to enjoy some time of fellowship and prayer with their staff.  We split up into groups to pray for Twin Lakes, but we prayed about Peru.  I will never forget Matthew’s plea that the Lord would not only open this door if it be His will, but that it would be flung open.  I had the mental image of the door that flies open so strongly it bangs against the wall.  And the Lord did indeed fling open the door and push me through.  My comments to my mom that this would be a year long process, maybe longer, to get to Peru turned out to be untrue!  Within six months of that first conversation with Matthew, I had filled out an application, been approved, tried one last Baycol case, began raising support, quit my job and moved to Guatemala first for language school and then Peru.  What a whirlwind!  Nevertheless, such a joyous and blessed one.  I would not trade my life for anything in the world.  

 

I am not sure how to measure a year in the life of a Peruvian Missionary, but I hope the Lord allows me many more to try to figure it out!  The photo at the top is from January 2008, my first mission trip to Peru where it all began.

 

Comments

1

We are sure glad (and thankful) you are in Peru!! Love and miss you!
~Sandi (& the whole family)

  Sandi Smith Apr 29, 2010 3:54 AM

2

We love you! Great post! We look forward to seeing you soon.

  Allen Apr 29, 2010 5:33 AM

3

Cute Alleen! Reading this brought back memories of our chats, our prayers for you, and times of praise and thanks to the ways the Lord has answered your prayers and provided for you. It is a testimony to how our God takes care of the tiniest of details - He knows before we utter a syllable and yet, loves us enough to allow us to be a part of the process and grow ever more in His image as a result! Thank you for sharing - we sure have missed you in the last year. But, it is a "miss" with a heart knowledge - a peace that passes all understanding knowledge, that God has you exactly where He wants you to be. Serving Him, to His glory. Hugs from your 8 Kimballs! We love you and pray all the time for you! Psalm 138

  Carrie K May 2, 2010 8:46 PM

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.