Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

Thanks IPC!

PERU | Thursday, 18 February 2010 | Views [433]

¡Muchisímo Gracias IPC!

¡Muchisímo Gracias IPC!

“Thank you for coming!  May God bless you!”  This was the greeting as patients began to see the doctors, dentists, nurses, and other persons that came to minister to their physical needs here in Trujillo.  The gratitude was palpable.  Independent Presbyterian Church in Memphis, TN, sent 27 eager participants to come and labor in Trujillo for a week in February.  They made it despite all obstacles.  There were travel advisories in Peru due to the floods.  Memphis was experiencing rare snow storms and airports were closing, but nothing is impossible for God!  He opened the airports, prepared their way and they arrived ready to work!  We had a wonderful week with our friends from Memphis!

 

All week we were able to offer services in medical care, dental care, eyeglasses for reading were provided, some minor surgeries were done, and we had the chance to share the gospel with kids and families that were waiting. First, we held a clinic at our church in Arevelo.   It was a great turnout and nice to have the sanctuary to use as our makeshift clinic.  The next day we went to Mocollope, a town north of Trujillo.  This town does not have access to medical care and so it was a great day to provide services free to people that do not have access or easy access to any medical or dental care.  Mocollope is supposed to be close to El Brujo, a very interesting archeological site where a mummified woman was discovered in 2005.  A true archeological find that made the cover of National Geographic.  So, a small group of us ventured towards El Brujo after the clinic this day.  I felt as if I was on a tour with the SS Minnow (remember when the 3 hour tour landed Gilligan and the others on an island forever?).  What was just 15 minutes away turned into a tour of the Peruvian countryside as we made detour after detour and followed rocks on the side of the dirt road that had El Brujo painted on them.  In addition, this is all through sugarcane fields as far as the eye can see.  Nevertheless, we finally made it and it was well worth it as we enjoyed the adventure of getting there and back to Trujillo as much as we did the museum and archeological site!  Thanks to the brave souls that ventured out with me and were so patient as we wandered through the sugarcane fields looking for the mummy! 

 

Wednesday was a hot day here in our Peruvian summer.  Moreover, it landed us at the hardest site of the week.  We had to put up tents in a dirt road, and it was blazing hot!  However, we labored on and again saw over 100 patients before stopping for lunch around 2:00 p.m.  Thursday we visited Clementina and were able to use the new adobe church building to see patients and for our pharmacy.  It was nice to have a small patch of shade.  Over these 4 days, the group from IPC saw approximately 625 patients!  Mercy was shown, the gospel was shared, patients were prayed with and for, and it was a full week of ministry and blessings to those serving as well as those being served.

 

Friday we went to the orphanage and saw all 42 kids for dental care and a few for medical visits.  We also were able to service the Peruvians that worked there also.  It was a fun day to see the kids and be able to just play with them also while they waited to see the doctors and dentists.  It was a great way to cap off our week of hard work!  After the orphanage, we had just enough time to enjoy lunch at the beach before the team had to pack up and head back to the airport. 

 

Thank you very much IPC Memphis for a great week.  You were such an encouragement to all of the missionaries, Fellows, and Peruvians you served.  What a hard working team with tireless energy and a heart to serve others!  We cannot wait to have you return next year!

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.