Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

My How Time Flies When You are Working Hard and Have No Internet!

PERU | Sunday, 17 May 2009 | Views [230] | Comments [1]

I cannot believe it has been a week since my last post.  Sorry about that!  It has been an incredibly busy week and I still do not have internet in my apartment so I have to make a special effort to go somewhere that does.  

It has been a wonderful week with the Anderson team!  I've made some great new friends and will be sad to see them leave tomorrow.  This week they labored at Larco every morning.  Larco church will be building a new building soon and they prepared the ground for the foundation and did some demolition.  What a hard working group and this was HARD WORK!  And they have the callouses and sore muscles to prove it.  They jack hammered and sledge hammered walls down, moved dirt to level the ground, dug and placed new sewer lines, and all the while with an attitude of love and service that was really impressive.  

In the afternoons, we were able to visit two universities, one secondary school, and had a conversation night one night at SALI.  The team also built relationships with the Peruvians, the missionaries, and interns.  We enjoyed dinner in several of the missionaries homes and out at some good restaurants.  We tried to have a movie night Friday night at SALI, but due to equipment issues, it turned into another conversation night and was great fun!  Everyone agreed it was better to have the time to talk and get to know the Peruvians than to watch a movie.  At the University and schools, the team was able to go in and talk to the students who were learning English.  This is an opportunity to tell the students about SUSA (the Peruvian RUF) and build relationships with our community.  It also was a chance for many team members to practice Spanish or learn a little.  I know it was frustrating at times, but they all did a great job with these classes and we are thankful for the doors it will open!

In addition to the planned activities, the team has been a blessing and witness to everyone that they have encountered.  Especially at the hotel. They have really embraced the concept and truth that our life each and every day is a witness to our faith and our Lord.  How we act, what we say, what we do, how we treat each other, how we treat others, everything we do should be to the Glory of God. And this team has been a great reminder to me of that and an encouragement to watch them live out this truth!  Well done good and faithful servant!

After a week of hard physical labor and days full of other activities, the team was treated to a day of rest on Saturday.  Yesterday we started the day with a trip to Chan Chan.  This is a city of the Chimus near Huanchacao (a beach just outside of Trujillo).  It was an interesting and in depth tour provided by our guide, William.  (Earlier in the week we were able to see Huaca de Luna the ruins from the Moche empire.  You can see the temple of the Moon; and it is very interesting to see how the Moche built temple upon temples and it eventually is a larger and larger pyramid.)  After the tour of Chan Chan, we went to the beach and enjoyed a delicious meal of traditional Peruvian seafood dishes, including ceviche, with a great ocean view.  After lunch, several went surfing in the Pacific. I think we can safely say a great time was had by all!

After our day at the beach we went back to town and showered up real quick so we could go to one more activity.  We went to SUSA.  There are several universities here in Trujillo and I think there were 5 or more groups together at SALI.  They meet individually and then once a month or every few months, they all meet together.  Each group did a skit or sang--including Anderson.  They sang Beneath the Cross and the Doxology.  It was wonderful!  

Speaking of singing. . . these young people are so talented.  I've been blessed each morning to start the day with them in song and worship in the Larco sanctuary.  It has pretty good acoustics that enhanced the talent!  We also enjoyed singing with Allen Smith at his home one night.  Allen is a talented artist that sings, plays guitar, and more.  That was a fun night for all. 

Oh, I just remembered that also this week, we were treated to a night of singing by a local band, Muypampa (sp?).  They are members of the Larco Church and they came and played at dinner one night.  We had the chance to meet some of the ladies that make the Peru Mission greeting cards and see their work.  And we also visited the orphanage one afternoon and were able to share God's love with the children there.  I have been several times, but it never ceases to amaze me how far a hug will go there and to be able to play with them.  Something so small that makes a large impact!

And that has been what this trip has been about.  Something that may seem small, but is going to make a large impact!  We've talked about how they may not see it now, but they are laying the foundation not only for the physical church, but also the world church in all that they have done here working for the kingdom church!

This morning the team attended Arevelo church.  We are about to have lunch in the park with the entire mission.  This afternoon is some free time, then tonight we are attending the evening service at Larco and the team will enjoy some time with their new Peruvian friends.  Tomorrow starts bright and early for a day in Lima before the long trip home.  

I will miss my "first team!"  They have been an incredible group of people to work with, to get to know, to labor with, laugh with and share with.  What a special group and I am blessed to have been their leader! Thanks Anderson RUF!  You are the best!!

Comments

1

Wow... this is so great to read the answers to our prayers. So proud of you for making through your "first team". Cannot wait to continue to read the updates. hugs from 8! Psalm 67

  Carrie K May 18, 2009 11:49 AM

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.