Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

A Laundry Room with a View

PERU | Friday, 24 April 2009 | Views [335] | Comments [3]

Wait. . .this is better. . . view from my laundry room

Wait. . .this is better. . . view from my laundry room

I made it to Trujillo! And no worse for the wear. The only bumps along the way were a piece of luggage that didn’t make it to Lima, the ATM ate my card the first time I used it, and my flight didn’t land at 6:30 like it was supposed to in Trujillo (apologies to Allen and Josh who were there to meet me!). But I got my luggage, a new card is on the way, and I landed at 10 am (thanks to Allen and Bill for greeting me!). Allen and Sandi Smith were gracious enough to host me until I could get in the apartment and show me around Trujillo and even shopped with me! Thanks Allen and Sandi. It certainly made for an easy transition! I enjoyed a restful weekend with their family while easing into life here in Trujillo. I worshiped at Larco and was pleased to be present as two new deacons were installed. It was a blessed time to worship here in Peru! Sunday night I enjoyed more good fellowship with the interns and Josh Eby, the missionary that oversees the interns.

This week has been all about starting work and settling into a new life here. My apartment was empty and so I’ve spent a lot of time at Saga, Ripley and Sodimac (think department stores and Home Depot) purchasing items for the apartment and getting settled. I’ve also had some good opportunities to practice my Spanish as I call the Gas Company, Water Company, etc. I’ve met several people in my building and like them all. I have met both my day and night security guards, they are called “vigilantes” here, and they are wonderful. Caesar and Jose have been very helpful!

I bought a washing machine and the only spot in my apartment for it is on the balcony of the top floor—hard to explain, but basically the roof. Well, the only access to that area is a spiral staircase behind my kitchen and guess what, that is right, the washer wouldn’t fit up there! So, yesterday, Jamie, Drew, and Harrison came over and managed to get it to its proper place. This was after Harrison climbed on the roof and saw some stairs from another person’s apartment that were not spiral . . . needless to say, I met a new neighbor and the guys managed to take my washer down 7 flights (thank goodness for the elevator) and over to the other side, up 7 flights, through a neighbor’s apartment, and across the roof and then down to my balcony! Believe it, it was crazier and more impressive than it sounds! Thanks to Jamie, Drew and Harrison!! And I have to admit; as I was watching the washer being lowered from the roof to the balcony all I could think was . . . where is my camera?! These guys were awesome--you go above and beyond the call of duty to help the new girl in town. Thank you!!

I’ve also been busy preparing for our upcoming Short Term Teams. We have a full summer of great teams coming to labor beside us here in Trujillo and Cajamarca. A group from South Carolina will be here the first week of May for two weeks and then Belhaven will arrive May 20. So I have been busy learning the ropes on hotels, airfare, buses, taxis, etc. Additionally, I’ve been getting to know the interns and preparing for our new group that will arrive May 28. Josh has got a great plan to continue improving our intern program and I am excited to be a part of it!

Despite not having any furniture in my apartment other than a mattress, bed frame (thanks to the Smiths!) and a table and 4 chairs (thanks to my landlady), I feel pretty settled already. Trujillo is a great town. I’ve got a lot to learn yet about my job, the town, improving my Spanish. But, I am enjoying this new start and the challenges that lay ahead!

Comments

1

Hi Alleen,
What an adventure already. I look forward to hearing about more adventures and about how God is using you in Peru. Mississippi misses you, but I'm glad that you're where God wants you to be. And where you want to be. I must say, it's a lovely view!
Take care,
Kari

  Kari Apr 28, 2009 6:05 AM

2

Ola! Glad to hear you had a safe trip and are doing well. Let me know if there's anything we can do for you. Have fun and post lots of pics!

  Paul B. Apr 30, 2009 4:33 AM

3

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow! To God be the glory! I love you!! Psalm 46, Carrie K

  Carrie May 1, 2009 1:00 AM

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.