Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

Semana Santa

GUATEMALA | Monday, 30 March 2009 | Views [378] | Comments [1]

It is my last week in Guatemala.  I am not sure I’ve even had time to properly process all of what I’ve learned while here.  I tried to give you a small taste of things Guatemalan.  I thought of one other thing I didn’t mention today.  Everywhere you go there are “guards” with shotguns guarding all sorts of things.  My favorite is the one that guards the water truck.  As the water deliveryman delivers large gallons of purified water, there is a guard that guards the water.  I often see them as I walk to school.  I just found that one to be entertaining.  Seriously though, they are everywhere.  You cannot walk for more than one block without seeing one.  And each time I see one riding on the back of a motorcycle or in the passenger seat of a car, I think, “Gives new meaning to riding shotgun.” 

In addition to this being my last week in Guatemala, it is the last week before Semana Santa (Holy Week—the week before Easter).  Being here during Cuaresma (Lent) has been very interesting.  Yesterday my teacher and I had a nice long conversation about Cuaresma and all the events that take place during this 40-day period. 

Each Friday in cities all over Guatemala, there are processions celebrating Lent.  These are interesting and often a tourist attraction as well as an event for church members.  These processions range in size according to the cities.  The largest are in Guatemala City, Antigua, and Quetzaltenango.  Guatemala City has some of the largest because they are the capitol city.  Antigua was the capitol of Central America for a long time and so it has very large processions as a remnant of its time as a capitol city.  Quetzaltenango is the second largest city in Guatemala and has a large Latin population.  Additionally, it still has a very large indigenous population so it also has large processions.  These processions are like a parade, but instead of floats there are Las Andas.  These are large platforms that have different images of Christ, His life, and His death, and His resurrection.  The men that carry these large platforms on their shoulders are called cucuruchos.  These cucuruchos pay 100Q for the honor to carry las andas.  Their “turn” may be only one block.  For example, this past weekend in Antigua, the procession lasted 24 hours and there were over 8,000 cucuruchos involved in just one procession.  The cucuruchos wear purple robes with hoods that any Southerner would akin to a KKK robe and hood.  It is quite a sight to see.  Also involved in these processions are grandiose alfombras.  The literal translation for alfombra is carpet.  It is a symbolism of the palm leaves that Jesus walked on.  They are made of sand, flowers, leaves, etc. but are very intricate.  The streets are closed off before the processions and you can see these alfombras.  I didn’t get a picture of one on the street, but I’ve posted one from a church in Antigua. 

There was an article in yesterday’s paper where the Catholic priest in Guatemala City was complaining about how Holy Week is viewed.  He broke it down into three groups of people.  (1) Many people take it as a vacation and go to the beach and have large parties.  (2) Some people don’t attend the church services, but just attend the processions like a common tourist.  (3) Some people attend the processions as well as the church services.  The priest was asking all the people to please not treat Holy Week as a vacation or tourist, but to properly observe it.  I got a few pictures of one of the processions in Antigua and one alfombra in the church in Antigua and have posted them.  Also, a few from a procession in Quetzaltenango.  They do not do the entire process justice, but may give you a small idea into what it is like here in Guatemala during this time.   

As you may recall from a prior post, the Catholic Church here incorporates many Myan cultures and traditions.  This has been explained to me by both my teachers as necessary for the church to survive because they would otherwise not be able to recruit (for lack of a better word) the Myan persons here in Guatemala.  One example of this is that during Holy Week, Guatelmatecans eat bread, honey, chocolate, garbanzo beans and fish.  The bread and fish is from the bible where Jesus feed the multitude.  The other (honey and chocolate) is taken from Myan culture and traditions.  It is mind boggling to me how these people so readily accept pagan cultures and traditions in the church.  Be in prayer for the churches and people here in Guatemala.  Both are in desperate need of reformation and transformation.

I pray that during this Semana Santa, we will all stay focused on the greatest gift any of us have ever received—Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior!  God gave us what none of us deserved—grace and salvation through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  If that is not a reason to celebrate, then I do not know what is!  I’ll let the Guatemalan Catholic Churches keep their traditions, both Catholic and Myan, and I am happy to rest in the truth of the bible and God’s free gift to us of Salvation through Jesus Christ!!  What a blessing and honor to be a part of His family.

Tags: guatemala, holy week, xela

Comments

1

Hi, I know that you don't know me, but I saw your blog and it caught my interest. I am planning to study at Casa Xelaju this summer and was wondering if you would be willing to email me with any travel advice and tips you might have.

  Christina Adams Apr 6, 2009 3:04 AM

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.