Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

Count Your Many Blessings

GUATEMALA | Sunday, 8 February 2009 | Views [290]

the store in the community and the girl that lives there.  there is a bed in this store because it is someone's bedroom also

the store in the community and the girl that lives there. there is a bed in this store because it is someone's bedroom also

This past weekend I went with the school to a fair-trade coffee farm.  It is called Nueva Alianza and is outside of Retalhuleu, a town southwest of Xela.  I’ve tried to pinpoint on the map as close as I can.  It was an incredible weekend away from Xela, but surprisingly, I was ready to come home to Xela by Sunday night.  It amazed me how quickly I called this home.

We left Saturday morning at 7:00 am.  It was COLD!!!  When my alarm went off to get up and shower, I let out a sigh because I didn’t want to get out of bed.   And that is when I saw my breath – in my room!  I tell you, it is cold.  Luckily, we were headed to warmer climates.  We drove about an hour in a van to the area before Reta where we would head up to the coffee farm (la finca).  We had to switch to a pick up because the van couldn’t handle the roads.  So, 12 of us squeezed into the back of a small pick up!  It was quite a sight.  The local police in Reta will give you a police escort to the farm and we took advantage of this free service coming and going.  They say there has been no trouble, but then why offer free police escort? 

The ride up there was unbelievably gorgeous and bumpy!  But just as we were arriving, we could see two of the main volcanoes outside of Xela—Santa Maria, which is inactive, and Santiago, which is active.  Santiago constantly is erupting with smoke—I never saw lava.  But right at 9:00 am as we were arriving, it erupted a large plume of smoke.

We got there and settled into our rooms at the lodge and then went for a hike.  Our guide was only 16, but had been guiding for 3 years.  He is part of the community.  We were treated to some gorgeous countryside as we hiked through the mountainside, almost jungle like.  We saw many interesting plants and trees, including the macadamia tree and some coffee plants.  The hike took us back out by a road in the community and we followed it back to the lodge.  There are 362 persons in the community and 50% are children.  There are about 50 houses in the community.  I took a picture of a few of the houses.  They have a general or public washing area for clothes, pots and pans and as you’ll see from one of the pictures, even kids. 

We had lunch on the patio overlooking the valley and it was so relaxing.  After lunch we had some down time and then we toured the coffee “plant” and they showed us how they sort the beans, dry them, roast them, etc.  It was all very interesting and they have just re-done the plant to use some new ways to process the beans and be ecologically sound. 

After the coffee tour, we had some time to relax and watch the sunset before dinner.  It was a magnificent sunset!  Then it was dinner and we had a chance to buy some of the coffee and macadamia nuts that they sell from the community.  And then we were given the background of Nueva Alianza by one of our tour guides.  It started as a farm owned by a wealthy man.  He, however, never paid his employees.  He owed them over a year’s worth of wages so everyone finally left and looked for work elsewhere.  With no workers, the farm could not operate and the man declared bankruptcy.  The families got together and with the help of a NGO, they obtained a loan to buy the land.  They were able to pay it back for 4 years without interest and then they’d have to start paying interest.  This is the first year they will pay interest.

Now the community has several projects:  coffee, macadamia nuts, compost that they turn into fertilizer, bio diesel, bamboo furniture, water purification, and an organic garden.  It was such an interesting place.  There is a small church in the community and a catholic priest comes once a month to hold services.  We toured all of the other projects Sunday morning after breakfast.  Then we took another walk through the mountainside jungles to a waterfall.  The weather was warm and it was sunny and just a wonderful break after a week of hard studying.  I actually took one of my Spanish textbooks with me and tried to study a little in our down time.  We also got to practice our Spanish since the tours were all in Spanish.  We had one person on the trip that was with the tour company our school used and she did translate some.  But it still allowed you to listen and try to comprehend and then get reinforced if what she said was what you thought you heard.  And it always helps to hear as many different speakers as you can.

After lunch on Sunday, we headed back to Xela.  To my surprise when we returned, it wasn’t as cold as it had been.  I’ve asked my mother here in Guatemala for 2 extra blankets and have finally gotten it where I can sleep very comfortably.  I just adjust how many clothes I wear to bed for how cold it is outside.  March and April are the warmest dry months so soon I’ll be talking about how hot it is!  This weekend get away was a wonderful break and very interesting.  And it was very humbling.  . . Here is a community of people that have nothing, yet they work from sun up to sun down to provide for their families and to try and make enough money to pay off the loan for the farm.  They worked for a year with no pay.  And still today, they exist on a very meager lifestyle.  A generator provided the electricity at the lodge.  They did have some solar panels.  But it is a very poor area of what is already a third world poor country.  It makes you stop and think about how extravagant we are in the United States.  You cannot visit somewhere like this and not spend at least some time reflecting on your own lifestyle and how blessed we are for even the smallest of things—creature comforts like hot water, electricity, and food to eat.  I know I am blessed beyond anything I should ever even think or desire, but this weekend just reaffirmed how awesome our God is to me, to us, and when we deserve the total opposite.  Take time to count your many blessings and thank the Lord for them all!

Tags: guatemala, nueva alianza

 

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.