Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

One Week Down, Eight to Go!

GUATEMALA | Friday, 6 February 2009 | Views [294] | Comments [3]

Proyecta de La Pedrera

Proyecta de La Pedrera

It has been a good first week of language school.  I am so thankful for all the many blessings God has graciously bestowed upon me!  And thankful for all of the prayers that are sustaining me. 

My host family is truly wonderful!  I am living with a family of five (mother, father, 2 sons and a grandmother).  For this past week, there were two students, including myself.  Today, another student joined us.  We all go to three different schools.  The family speaks very little to no English so mealtime is a great time to practice my Spanish, which is very necessary.  One night this week, it was just myself, and the mother and father at the dinner table and a guest came.  He spoke English and Spanish and was kind enough to work with me and explain to my host parents to be sure and speak clearly and slowly.  We visited for about an hour.  I eat all my meals with the family and Esperanza, the mother, is very good about asking what I like and don’t like.  I’ve had some wonderful meals.  Breakfasts are some of my favorite.  One day we had pancakes, and another day was chocolate pancakes and fruit!  Yummy!!  Today I had a large plate of fresh fruit (pineapple, apples, and strawberries) and toast.  Tea is with breakfast and dinner because it is so cold, but for lunch, she makes homemade fruit juice.  We’ve had lemonade, strawberry juice, pineapple juice, and it has all been delicious.  And, of course, homemade corn tamales and homemade salsa, both hot and mild—and homemade tortillas.  I feel like I am eating like a queen!

I have settled into a nice routine and love the town of Xela.  I get up each morning and have breakfast with the other student and my Guatemalan mother.  Then it is off to school for 5 hours.  I love my short walk to school.  On the street where I live is both a public school and private school.  Every morning I pass mothers and children rushing to school as not to be late.  It is very important here for them to be on time for school.  My walk to my school is a five-minute stroll, so I often make it in less than five minutes.  I meet my teacher, Karla, in our classroom and we have class one on one from 8:00 am until 10:30 am.  We have recess from 10:30 to 11:00 and then continue from 11:00 am until 1:00 pm.  Even on the breaks, to converse with the other faculty, you get to use your Spanish.  I have homework each night.

After school, I return home for lunch at 1:30 with almost the entire family-- there are usually one or both children there.  They both attend university so it depends upon their schedule.  The afternoons are then spent either volunteering at Proyecto La Pedrera or joining the school on a planned activity.  I usually do my homework before dinner, which is at 7:30.  At night I either do more studying or join my friends from school somewhere in town, and then to bed so I can arise and start again.  I have loved the two days I spent at Proyecto La Pedrera this week.  It is a school for the indigenous people of La Pedrera on the hills outside of Quetzaltenango.  The hike up is a quad burning, fat burning, fifteen-minute workout, but the reward is oh so sweet to be with those precious children!  The picture beneath this post is the school.  We work with the kids in the first floor of this blue building.  They have five tables squeezed in with anywhere from 4 to 6 kids at each table.  It is an after school program and we help them with their homework (which allows more opportunity to practice your Spanish).  To learn more about Proyecto La Pedrera, please check out their website: www.casaxelaju.com/pedrera/ . 

The school organizes activities most days and then also on the weekend.  One activity this week was going to the cemetery here in town.  It was very interesting and beautiful.  There are pictures from it in my picture gallery.  See  http://gallery.me.com/alleenmclain .  This weekend we are going to a coffee plantation and cooperative community outside of Xela.  It is called Nueva Alianza.  The school has been fantastic.  I am very impressed with the faculty and the office.  I had one teacher on day one and felt like we didn’t mesh very well.  The next day, I had another teacher and loved her!  She was able to teach my level, and me much better.  So, at the break I asked to switch and they said no problem. The remainder of the week has shown me that I made the right choice.  Karla is an excellent teacher.  I have also found that the school has a great reputation in Xela.  I love my teacher, but I know that we will be parting in a week or so.  The school encourages you to not stay with the same teacher for more than 2 weeks, but will sometimes allow longer. The idea is that you will get used to your teacher’s speech and not be able to pick up Spanish from others.  You learn best when listening to lots of different persons speaking.  During recess, I’ve had the chance to visit with some other teachers that I will request in a few weeks when I have to change from Karla.  One teacher that I hope to have my last two weeks is very interesting.  He has studied theology, philosophy and numerous other topics.  These past few weeks, he has been teaching a young man that just finished college and plans to go to seminary in another year or so.  So, it was a good fit for them.  I hope to get this teacher my last two weeks so that I can learn some vocabulary that will be helpful working with the churches in Peru. 

Many of you know how I am a magnet for strangers to come and talk to me while I am traveling around.   Well, my magnetism for strangers is actually a benefit in this arena.  As always, I’ve had a few strangers approach me to visit when I am sitting in the Parque Central doing my homework or reading a book or writing in my journal.  And so it offers me more opportunities to visit with a native Spanish speaking person.  Xela is a small town, but I have been surprised on two occasions by people I met.  Last Sunday, I met a group from a Presbyterian Church in Tupelo, MS!  They had been in Guatemala on a mission trip and stopped by Xela on the way back to Guatemala City.  What a small world to be wandering the market that comes to town on the first Sunday of each month and see a group from Tupelo in Xela!  And then today, I was in a store buying sunscreen and the man waiting on me asked where I was from.  When I said the US, he asked where in the US, and I said MS.  He then proceeded to tell me about how he lived in Carthage, MS for two years working at a chicken plant, Tyson’s plant.  Now that my friend, is a small world!

Well, that is about it for week one.  I am so thankful for my prayer warriors at home and in Peru.  My adjustment to living in Guatemala is complete.  It only lasted about three or four days.  Please pray for my continued safety and that I would be able to soak up as much Spanish as my feeble brain may hold in these next eight weeks!

Tags: language school, xela

 

Comments

1

LOVE you, Girl! So very proud of you being obedient to the call of our awesome Lord! Keep up the good work. Dios te bendiga... muchos besos... Te quiero... en el amor de Dios... Salmo 34, Carolina

  Carrie K Feb 7, 2009 2:20 PM

2

i'm still so sad that we never got to get our coffee! it sounds like school is going well! i'm continuing to pray for you!

  emily Feb 7, 2009 6:17 PM

3

Alleen, I'm so thrilled you are having an awesome time in Xela! I will definitely be praying for you and look forward to hopefully seeing you again in Peru! God bless you!

  Foster Feb 18, 2009 7:28 AM

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.