Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

From the Desert to the Mountains

PERU | Saturday, 5 January 2008 | Views [350] | Comments [3]

New year Celebrations in Cusco

New year Celebrations in Cusco

Ive made it to Cusco. The Lima airport does not sleep.  Not one store closed and people were constantly in and out.  Sonny ended up spending the night with me so I at least had a little company until morning.  He went back to Trujillo and then I came to Cusco.  I was so tired by the time I got here.  I guess I have been running on adrennaline all week.  There have been several nights I didnt get much sleep, but I really wasnt tired in Trujillo, but after just my short cat naps last night and this morning before the plane, I was exhausted when I got here.  So, I took a long seista when I got to the hotel this afternoon.  The weather is colder than I an anticipated.  Or it could just be that I am not in shorts and a t-shirt sweating so it feels colder than it is.  It is overcast and cloudy. 

I like the hotel.  It is small and is right off the Plaza d Armas.  Cusco is 3320 meters or about 10,000 feet.  I am not sick from the altitude yet, which is great!  hopefully I have figured out the whole altitude deal and will not suffer from any altitude sickness this trip.  Of course, you can feel it.  Walking upstairs or up the mountain streets catches your breath way faster than you are used to.  Supposedly the cocoa tea helps with altitude sickness and aclimitizing.  I had 3 cups of it when I arrived at the hotel.  It tasted just as I remembered and actually better.  Last time I had to acquire a taste for it.  Today, it was actually pretty good.  Last time I had only one day to acclimate before we started hiking so I am glad to have 2 days this time.  I think that will also help. 

When I finally got up, I took my laundry up the road to get washed and then came to the plaza to walk around.  I had to break down and buy a new card for one of my cameras.  It was full and I couldnt delete enough to make room for this part of the trip.  And now am updating this and checking on some other emails.  I have to be back at the hotel by 18:00 for a meeting with our guide for the trek.  He will give us the details for the trek and when to be ready on Monday, etc.  Also, he is supposed to have the details of how I am getting from Cusco to Puno. I know it is supposed to be a LONG bus ride, but thats about it.  I got an email that it will leave at 08:00 and arrive at 18:00, yes, 10 hours on the bus.  Should get to see a lot of Southern Peru if I am not sleeping. 

For now, hopefully my laundry will be ready just in time to pick it up on the way back to the hotel for my meeting. If not, I will just get it when I come back out for dinner.  Speaking of food and water, I got spoiled in Trujillo.  Every meal was just provided adn then there were 5 gallon bottles of water that we just kept our water bottles full from.  I had gotten used to being served versus having to actually go buy the water, which I drink so much of ends up being either a lot at once or several trips to the store. You have to drink so much up here at this altitude to stay hydrated.  I bought 3 bottles and have drank 2 already while on the internet.  I have to get back used to my system of buying enough, etc.

I do like the internet I found.  It is only 1.50 soles or like 50 cents for an hour.  Cannot beat that deal!  I will update again tomorrow with some pictures from Cusco.

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

 

Comments

1

Been enjoying the trip journal! Feels like we've been with you all along! Have fun at Cusco!

  Eddie & Sarah Carlisle Jan 7, 2008 3:57 AM

2

alleen, we love your journals. so glad the camp was a success. hope you enjoy the next trip! keep the posts coming!

  abrahams Jan 7, 2008 8:49 AM

3

GOTCHA!!!!

So good to hang with you in Peru. Don't be a stranger. We're SOOOO having an Amazing Race party complete complete with Peruvian Sno Cones!

  Andrew Vincent Jan 9, 2008 9:08 AM

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.