Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

Day of the Goat

PERU | Wednesday, 2 January 2008 | Views [632] | Comments [6]

Goat anyone?

Goat anyone?

All,

Day 2 was another great success.  We got up and went to the new site and it was beautiful.  Still in Moche and at the foot of the pagan temples, but so much more beautiful than the last site.  No horses today, but we did have a pool, which was the HIT of the day!!  The kids loved it. 

As usual, we got there early and set up camp and awaited the arrival of the kids.  When they arrive, we greeted them with the tunnel to run through and had them all assemble in the general area.  We sang some praise songs and then we did the boogaloo for the children.  I think it was enjoyed by all.  One child asked me at lunch, "Were yáll just trying to embarass yourself or entertain us."  I said both, did it work?  It did indeed.  And then it was off to the activities.  Today, we had Sports, Superfun games, archery, pool and playground/inflatable.  The children seemed to get the idea of camp better today and it was more organized as far as keeping them in the right area and things running smoothly.  And the Peruvian helpers seemed to understand the system better also.

Lunch today was interesting.  The kids had fried chicken breast, french fries, and "salad".  The adults got "porkchops" and french fries and salad.  And then we find out later that one of the missionaries saw the facility bringing in our lunch earlier--about 45 minutes before our lunch.  So, the pork chops weren´t porkchops, but GOAT!  It appeaers that most of the men ate the goat, but I haven´t talked to any women that ate any of it.  Andrew, ever the present documentarian, got a picture of our lunch just as it arrived to the camp. . . see below and enjoy!  :)  Wes Baker, one of the missionaries, is the one holding the lunch.  After lunch, we had our assembly as always. 

Today´s lesson was "I am the bread of life."  We had an actual fish that was one of the largest I´ve ever seen as the fish and loaves of bread to help explain the story of the little boy and Jesus feeding the crowds.  And then we had the "disciples" hand out bread to all the children.  Also, we talked about the mana and it rained mana on the children with oatmeal.  So, it was a good day for food props. 

Speaking of food, the regional cuisine is guinea pig, or cuy (coo-ee).  Today, at the facility they had a guinea pig farm (to provide the guinea pig for the restuarant).  Much to Sheila´s plesure, they offered to give Isaac a guinea pig to take home, but she somehow managed to convince him to leave it there, but only after taking it all around all day. 

On a more serious note, yesterday we had 137 kids at camp and about 200 total counting the Twin Lakes staff and the Peruvian helpers.  Today we had 145 kids and about 240 total people at the camp--including the helpers and some of thier families and others that have gotten involved and have an interest in what is going on.   As you may recall, the camp is being put on by members from 3 different churches.  One missionary that was first here about 9 or 10 years ago said that he has never seen so many Peruvian helpers sign up to help with anything or work together like they have for this.  He said while we may not appreciate it, the work we are doing really has made an effect on Northern Peru and not just the kids that are coming.  Everyone has been so thrilled with this camp and what God is doing with the children, the Peruvians that are going to run this camp in the future hopefully.  We are planting seeds that will hopefully grow and flourish for years and years to come. 

After camp, one of our translators, Lourdes took us to her uncle´s museum to see some of the culture of Peru and his pottery and hear about the history of the area.  Then he and his band played the drum, the guitar, the pan flute, and another flute and played 3 special songs for us.  Lourdes even showed us a few dance steps.  It was a special time and we all enjoyed her family and the interesting stories of the culture and history.  They sended us off with a traditional blowing of the musical instruments and a conch shell--to say goodbye to the town.  It was a testament to the relationships we are building with these Peruvians.  Again, trying to show Christ through all we do.  May everything we do be to the Glory of God.

Tonight the Bill Bradford´s hosted us for dinner.  As usual, it was fabulous!  We were all happy to see some vegatables that we could eat in a wonderful stew.  And the fellowship was such fun.  Thier kids have been at camp all week, so we also had fun visiting with everyone!  Again, we can never say thanks enough to the missionaries that have made this trip so hospitable.  It really has been nice to know that we´ve got a home to visit and enjoy a comfortable meal after a long day of setting up camp, camp, and tearing down camp, etc.  It has made it a very comfortable trip and we certainly appreciate it.

Thanks to all of you for your support and prayers.  We really do feel your prayers and it is wonderful to know that so many people back home are praying for us and laboring together with us from there.  We are all in this mission together and we are thrilled to share this special time with you.

Tags: Mission Trip

 

Comments

1

Alleen, we feel like we are right there with you. Thank you SO much for these daily updates. They take us across the miles in minutes! Know our prayers are with you, the missionary families, and the local Peruvians. May God continue to bless your efforts and bring Glory to His name.

  Ken and Kathy Kammer Jan 3, 2008 3:09 PM

2

I am overwhelmed by your journalling! God is God all over the world! What an awesome experience to worship with Peruvians before you get to heaven! God is truly glorified throughout the earth! Thank you all for mirroring Jesus in Peru. I am blessed and humbled at the same time.... May the Holy Spirit fill Twin Lakes in Peru!!!

  Teri Bowie Jan 3, 2008 3:19 PM

3

Thank you for all you are doing in Peru! You can tell by the children's faces how eager they are. God is blessing your efforts to share Him with the Peruvians. We are so thankful you are updating us. I can't wait to see what you write next and see the pictures. We are continuing to lift all of you up in prayer and tell Sarah her Mom, Dad and sisters send their love!

  Horace and Linda Grantham Jan 3, 2008 3:51 PM

4

Let me see your Boogaloo-looks like everyone was really engaged and having fun. Can not wait to hear it sung by Carey in both languages. Probably fun and silly like the ones they sung at camp--ask her to sing "Brown Squirrel" or "Doodle dewantan deele bobbin a watchin chew" (not sure of the spelling)Tell her we love her!!!

  Lori Black Jan 4, 2008 4:21 AM

5

Body of Christ!! At first, I was so jealous to NOT be going to help in some way: but I helped by sending my son. God has shown me so much through your journals and all the activities in Peru. We are backing you with prayer and I tell you the truth, you have got some prayer warriors on the JOB back here in the states. We are all a part of the body of Christ.....I am excited to see what is happening every day and excited to know that my son is learning a part of Missions he has not seen because he has grown up in inner city mission work (where you are usually trying to help hostile and ungrateful people who think society owes them something). It makes a difference when people are eager and hungry for the Word like the folks in Peru. God bless you all with wisdom & boldness and please tell my son, John Israel, how very proud I am of his life in Christ.

Charlotte Wingard

  Rev. Charlotte Wingard Jan 4, 2008 5:48 AM

6

Lucille,

You have done an excellent job with new pictures--especially of the food. Sounds like things are going well. And we're still praying. (I'm sure Melissa is also worrying--you know, putting a question mark where God has put a period.) Carry on....

  Helen Jan 4, 2008 3:46 PM

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.