Existing Member?

Asi es la Pura Vida This journal includes my previous trips, y es para my future trips. Empezando ahora I will catch up con fotos y stories ya del pasado, and will continuar mas in depth with the travels to come my way.

Puerto Chacabuco, Chile

CHILE | Saturday, 1 November 2008 | Views [1791]

15 kilometres west of Puerto Aisen, the busy port of PUERTO CHACABUCO sits dramatically on a natural harbour enclosed by craggy, jagged peaks brushed with snow.  Scanning this panorama, it's almost impossible to distinguish any outlet to the sea, so you might think you were standing before a lake.  Turn away from the ocean and you're greeted with a very different sight: rows of ugly rish processing factories stagger down the road to the shore, and the jetty is flanked by large, grim-looking warehouses often emitting a nauseating smell of fish.  All in all, you won't want to linger for long.

It is, however, the embarkation point for day-trips to one of the most spectacular sights in Chile, the Laguna San Rafael glacier.  As the boats set out early in the morning, and get back late, you might want to spend a night here before and after the trip, although the more appealing Puerto Aisen lies only a short distance away.

Puerto Chacabuco also serves as the terminal for ferries to and from Puerto Montt and Quellon.

 

About all04h

brrr i was cold!

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.